280 AI: 22” vs 24” barrel length

megastink

Just curious if anyone has information on what the difference in velocity would be between a 22" barrel and a 24" barrel for the 280 AI?

I've been contemplating a .280 AI build four zones time, but just saw that savage offers that caliber in the Ultralight. It has a 22 barrel, whereas I was planning on using a 24". Would appreciate some knowledge on this topic.

I don't have first hand experience with a 22", but have a 24". If you will be running it suppressed, the 22" would be less cumbersome. It may cost you 75 fps going shorter, but I don't think the deer will know the difference.

Just curious if anyone has information on what the difference in velocity would be between a 22" barrel and a 24" barrel for the 280 AI?

I've been contemplating a .280 AI build four zones time, but just saw that savage offers that caliber in the Ultralight. It has a 22 barrel, whereas I was planning on using a 24". Would appreciate some knowledge on this topic.
estimate about gaining 50fps per inch +/-25fps. Theres no documented info on this that I know of but Ive had the same question for other calibers and thats what I use. I just bought a 280AI but with a 26in barrel to maximize the handload options but I have no real world experience with this caliber yet, still waiting on it.

Not 22 nor 24, but 26. 175 EH, and RL23... just another data point. RWS 270 brass pre-SAAMI reamer used.

copied load from @lancetkenyon

Screenshot_20221109-211109_Calculator.jpgScreenshot_20221109-211051_Calculator.jpg

Don't overcomplicate it; pick one. Regardless of the average velocity per inch, the 24" will give you more velocity over the 22" barrel.

Not a .280 AI, but I have a .257 WBY with a 22" barrel. I asked Berger for a load recommendation for the Berger 135s, and below is just an excerpt using Magpro.

1668051123610.png

Below is my comparative baseline load

1668054621655.png

As you can see, it is not too shabby, esp. from a 22" vs. 26" barrel; still have more room for more powder. Good luck with your project.

I think new powders, bullets and even barrel makers have put this old long barrel thing in the grave. Now, add a longer barrel and your can gain a little extra.

Worry more about finding RL-23/26 and primers...

I think new powders, bullets and even barrel makers have put this old long barrel thing in the grave. Now, add a longer barrel and your can gain a little extra.

Worry more about finding RL-23/26 and primers...
I actually have Rl26 and plenty of LRP's. More than I'll likely ever shoot.

I have found between 20fps to 32fps per 1" of barrel length is cases from .223 Rem to .300RUM.
The article below and the earlier one mentioned in it show results consistent with what you have seen. Despite this, I sure would like to see someone do this same test with a 30 Nosler/300 PRC and a 300 WSM to allay my concerns of going with a 20ish inch magnum.

I went with a 23" barrel with a 1-7.5 twist on my 280 AI. With a 140 AH it's right at 3300 FPS. If you're worried about speed then the AH are an option. BC is not great. But if your shots are under 5-600 yds you'll be ok. If you need high BC for longer shots I think I'd go with a 26" barrel.