280 A.I 162 AMAX Help

ramrod79

Again gents I need some advise or help. This past week I was doing some load development with some 162 AMAX in my Cooper 280 AI ( I ran out of Berger 168,and have not got into get more), so guys I started at my ladder test at max clip length 3.87 ,and started at 58GR of H 4831sc all the way up to 61GR . Guys the 58GR showed promise at about .6inch group at 100yards the rest of the loads ( 3 shot groups) were not very good with the exception of the 61 GR group a ragged hole , I know great I found a load BUT this is where I need the advise , the 3 shot group at 59.5 GR flattened primers slightly , and the 60,and 61 GR no flat primers??? guys does 61GR sound to hot as I had no other signs of pressure no sticky bolt nothing just want some thoughts on the 59.5 GR charge , and maybe a different primer change or maybe going to Mag primers ( I thought Mag primers would be to hot) I currently using Fed 210 primers . I think I will load 6 more of the 58 GR ,and 6 more at the 61 GR, and try again any thoughts or suggestions would be great . Guys no I did not chrono any of these loads ,as that may have told me more info .

If it's not showing pressure and your primer pockets hold up, go with it. 61 grains of re-22 or n550 will gin in every 280ai I've seen with those bullets.

Why not just pick up some more Berger 168's.....People are always selling them in the classifieds.

Much better bullet than the AHax.

AHax is a very fragile target bullet. I'd stick with the Bergers, which are a legit hunting bullet. I'd shoot an SST, Interlock, or BT over an AHax.

Now, don't take it wrong...I don't dislike Hornady, or their products. I just don't like people using the AMax for hunting.

I use MAG-PRO. 60gr under a sierra game king. good accuracy about 2930 FPS. i want to say 160gr. in custom M98 24 inch tube. loads as per sierra manual. Might work with the amax/SST from hornady. but you need to follow all the rules about working up to a load.

Guys thanks for the help and yes I will be picking up more bergers to try but I have a butt load of Amax and they are usually are an accurate bullet . I have yet to try them hunting,actually I don't think I even mentioned hunting in here but I do like them for shooting at steel at long distances and making little bug holes in my targets , I was hoping that someone would have some input as to my primer issue I was having while working up this load as I don't want to have a wreck and I know there are many seasoned reloader/shooters on this forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.