280 A.I 162 AMAX Help

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ramrod79, May 21, 2014.

1. ramrod79

ramrod79 Well-Known Member

Again gents I need some advise or help. This past week I was doing some load development with some 162 AMAX in my Cooper 280 AI ( I ran out of Berger 168,and have not got into get more), so guys I started at my ladder test at max clip length 3.87 ,and started at 58GR of H 4831sc all the way up to 61GR . Guys the 58GR showed promise at about .6inch group at 100yards the rest of the loads ( 3 shot groups) were not very good with the exception of the 61 GR group a ragged hole , I know great I found a load BUT this is where I need the advise , the 3 shot group at 59.5 GR flattened primers slightly , and the 60,and 61 GR no flat primers??? guys does 61GR sound to hot as I had no other signs of pressure no sticky bolt nothing just want some thoughts on the 59.5 GR charge , and maybe a different primer change or maybe going to Mag primers ( I thought Mag primers would be to hot) I currently using Fed 210 primers . I think I will load 6 more of the 58 GR ,and 6 more at the 61 GR, and try again any thoughts or suggestions would be great . Guys no I did not chrono any of these loads ,as that may have told me more info .

2. ramrod79

3.387 oaml

3. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Well-Known Member

If it's not showing pressure and your primer pockets hold up, go with it. 61 grains of re-22 or n550 will gin in every 280ai I've seen with those bullets.

4. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Why not just pick up some more Berger 168's.....People are always selling them in the classifieds.

Much better bullet than the AHax.

AHax is a very fragile target bullet. I'd stick with the Bergers, which are a legit hunting bullet. I'd shoot an SST, Interlock, or BT over an AHax.

Now, don't take it wrong...I don't dislike Hornady, or their products. I just don't like people using the AMax for hunting.

5. walkingjay

walkingjay Member

I use MAG-PRO. 60gr under a sierra game king. good accuracy about 2930 FPS. i want to say 160gr. in custom M98 24 inch tube. loads as per sierra manual. Might work with the amax/SST from hornady. but you need to follow all the rules about working up to a load.

6. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

7. ramrod79

Guys thanks for the help and yes I will be picking up more bergers to try but I have a butt load of Amax and they are usually are an accurate bullet . I have yet to try them hunting,actually I don't think I even mentioned hunting in here but I do like them for shooting at steel at long distances and making little bug holes in my targets , I was hoping that someone would have some input as to my primer issue I was having while working up this load as I don't want to have a wreck and I know there are many seasoned reloader/shooters on this forum.