28 Nosler vs 300 rum on mule deer and elk

Cartridge choice

• Total voters
5E57E055-9C8E-4976-B2E3-E2CAE6E1B838.jpeg
I was in the same boat recently and decided to do a 338 RUM build. I have a Defiance Long Action done to my specs, Proof CF Barrel, Timney CE, Wyatt's Mag box, and a Manner PRS1 stock all getting sent to Travis R (RBros) when the stock is done next week. The paint job I'm doing is going to be sick as well. I'm planning on running the 338 RUM with goals of 3100 with 250's, Travis thinks this is attainable and I can't wait. Looking at 11 lbs with a Minox ZP5 5-25 MR2. I just sold a 28 Nosler that I loved but really want the extra knock down power. If you already have a 30 and 28 why not go up and give it a shot. There's no replacement for displacement ha.

View attachment 91242 I was in the same boat recently and decided to do a 338 RUM build. I have a Defiance Long Action done to my specs, Proof CF Barrel, Timney CE, Wyatt's Mag box, and a Manner PRS1 stock all getting sent to Travis R (RBros) when the stock is done next week. The paint job I'm doing is going to be sick as well. I'm planning on running the 338 RUM with goals of 3100 with 250's, Travis thinks this is attainable and I can't wait. Looking at 11 lbs with a Minox ZP5 5-25 MR2. I just sold a 28 Nosler that I loved but really want the extra knock down power. If you already have a 30 and 28 why not go up and give it a shot. There's no replacement for displacement ha.

What barrel length did you go with? I was thinking if I went 338 I'd go with a 28 or 30 to really benefit from the extra power and gain some velocity. What made you go with 338 rum instead of 338 edge?

What barrel length did you go with? I was thinking if I went 338 I'd go with a 28 or 30 to really benefit from the extra power and gain some velocity. What made you go with 338 rum instead of 338 edge?

28" and went with the RUM so I can load longer and not turn it into a single shot. I have a 338 Lapua but it's in the form of an AXMC and not to mountain friendly, even with the proof and AMG to lighten it up. I have fallen in love with the 338 as of late. I run a RRS setup with my AXMC and it's legit for Kansas and Missouri but I don't want to carry that pig up hills.

I've killed a lot of critters with the 200 grain Accubond out of my .300 RUM. I've never experienced the huge exits like the Berger tends to make. Killed elk, mule deer, antelope and bears. Oh, and a wolf. Ranges from 42 to 703 yards. It's a great bullet for hunting loaded in the RUM. mtmuley

I've killed a lot of critters with the 200 grain Accubond out of my .300 RUM. I've never experienced the huge exits like the Berger tends to make. Killed elk, mule deer, antelope and bears. Oh, and a wolf. Ranges from 42 to 703 yards. It's a great bullet for hunting loaded in the RUM. mtmuley
You tried the 210 ABLR yet? I have some of those I use in my 30-06, they're meant for long range but my 30-06 shoots em slow enough they have amazing expansion properties (2600 FPS down to 1800 fps expands great)
They have a much better BC than the standard 200 gr accubonds, but obviously being Nosler is a bit inflated and I was curious how they did at faster speeds.

I'm a 338 guy..to shoot a long way, and carry the mail, nothing beats a 338. I've been working on my 33 nosler...it's just about perfect for a shoot"able" hunting weight gun...although I love my proof sendero contour--I'd build this gun lighter next time.

You tried the 210 ABLR yet? I have some of those I use in my 30-06, they're meant for long range but my 30-06 shoots em slow enough they have amazing expansion properties (2600 FPS down to 1800 fps expands great)
They have a much better BC than the standard 200 gr accubonds, but obviously being Nosler is a bit inflated and I was curious how they did at faster speeds.
Used them one year. Killed a bull and a mule deer. 80 yards and 357 yards respectively. In my opinion the 210 ABLR has nothing on the "regular" 200 grain Accubond. mtmuley

A lot depends on the type of rifle you're going to build, and how far you're going to shoot.

The farther we get, the heavier rifles chambered for large cartridges, and heavier bullets, come into their own.

View attachment 91242 I was in the same boat recently and decided to do a 338 RUM build. I have a Defiance Long Action done to my specs, Proof CF Barrel, Timney CE, Wyatt's Mag box, and a Manner PRS1 stock all getting sent to Travis R (RBros) when the stock is done next week. The paint job I'm doing is going to be sick as well. I'm planning on running the 338 RUM with goals of 3100 with 250's, Travis thinks this is attainable and I can't wait. Looking at 11 lbs with a Minox ZP5 5-25 MR2. I just sold a 28 Nosler that I loved but really want the extra knock down power. If you already have a 30 and 28 why not go up and give it a shot. There's no replacement for displacement ha.
Wow that's quite a goal considering its tough to break 2900 fps with 250's.. I guess if you aren't concerned with using temp stable powders 3000 fps should be easy

Wow that's quite a goal considering its tough to break 2900 fps with 250's.. I guess if you aren't concerned with using temp stable powders 3000 fps should be easy

When I ask a world class smith like Travis or Dallas what they think I'll get with THEIR reamer and a 28" tube and the response is "around 3100," to me that's worth more than a reloading app. If I only get 3000 with Retumbo it's not the end of the world, but 3100 is the "goal."

.28 Nosler with 195 Elite Hunters.

28" Proof CF 1:8 twist .28 Nosler barrel will be what's going on my next build. When I get more money, I'm going to rebuild one of my custom 7mm STW's, and since the action was originally a 7RUM, no extra modifications are necessary. The action's already been blueprinted, so all that's needed is a new tube that's been chambered and headspaced. Probably gonna stick it in a new stock (thinking Manners or Stocky's CF Long Range stock).

This is my 28 Nosler with a 28" Frozen Fiber barrel built by Dead Down Range and chambered for the 195. Shoots incredible.

Attachments

• A8C9B1C7-B8D9-4948-A2D9-F0D0018C2790.jpeg
    A8C9B1C7-B8D9-4948-A2D9-F0D0018C2790.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 338
I think some of the issue is based on expectation. I don't own a big cal gun like a 28 nosler or 300 rum to shoot an animal at 80 yds. I want it to shoot them at 800. sure, you may end up ending up taking a shot that close, but its not going to be ideal. you are going to have more damage, but if you don't have that energy, you aren't going to be able to make that shot at 800-1000. I don't think you can go wrong with either. the 300 with the 230 (or the new 245) will offer a little more down range energy, and might be better on bigger game, but a 195 should be pretty good too.

honestly, If it were a dedicated hunting rig only, I would prob go with the 300 RUM. I wouldn't be shooting it as much as other rifles, so the little bit extra in recoil wouldn't be that bad, but the extra energy on the other end might make a difference. its so hard to tell cause like everything else with terminal ballistics there is so much going on and no two shots are alike.

the other thing to consider is what is available. if you come across a smoking deal on a 28 nosler, I wouldn't turn it down. same goes for a 300 RUM. to me, I would prob go that route. its a good a reason as any other

I've never had a shot on an elk closer than 200. But I hunt mostly in the flatlands, and occasionally I go above the tree line in the more mountainous areas and try and spot some elk to get closer to and shoot, and if they're within range I'll take a shot. Since primarily I hunt flatlands, they get real skittish and they don't let you any closer than 400, and if you're lucky maybe 300. Shots at 1000 are a much higher probability than those at 80 for me. But 500-800 is most common. I've had the opportunity to take shots at 1200 and 1300 not in the flatlands but on a ridge of one mountain looking at the ridge of another, however I didn't have enough gun or enough practice to be willing to take shots that long. When I get a bigger gun, no matter the caliber, I'll be practicing with it until I have my ballistic charts verified, and then with the Win mag so I can practice out to 1500 or so just to get used to doping that far and test my own accuracy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.