Idaho Mule Deer and Elk

Shakey

The grooved bullet body is a good one. Military has used it for years. Some good ones are coming out of Africa and finally Randy down at Barnes is trying to get his worked out.

I would like to see the designs more like the GS custom bullets out of Africa but I know that Randy didn't want to go for that super sleek bullet because of the twists required.

Paul

ppro,

The Groove Bullets are not the same design as the bullets you speak of from Africa. Groove Bullets have "Grooves" and the bullets from Africa you spoke of have "Bumps" - two totally different concepts.

We are working on a LR (long range) version of the Groove Bullets and will introduce them in the future.

Be well,

Don
smile.gif

Shaky

Call them what ever you want...the general net effect is still the same. And the African bullets are VERY GOOD, I might add...shooting very well in my guns. Whats nice about the bullets from GS custom is they do provide ballistic information for their bullets. It would help if ballistic data were available for the "groove" bullets....maby it is by now?

Paul

ppro,

I am happy for you that you found a bullet you like.

How close can you load the GS bullets to the lands?

When you say ballistic information, what exactly are you looking for?

We list weight, SD, BC, Length, Base to Ogive information on our web site for all of our hunting bullets. Is there additional information you need?

Don

Don

I can't get them as close to the lands as I would like i.e. feeding from the magazine in Ultra mags, but they still shoot well enough.

Don
Thanks
I had looked at what I thought were your bullets awhile ago, but I didn't see the B.C. data.........thanks....I will take another look. I would much rather buy U.S. made.
Also....what are the tolerances (manufacturing) that you hold for concentricity of the bullet body, and then the groove to body. I was wondering...plus or minus....what.

'thanks

Paul

Don

Thanks for explaining your question....yup..the G.S. bullets body rides the land and seals with the.....ridges?...hahaha semantics

Again thanks.....I pretty much thought runout would be the condition of the machine, tooling condition and setup but I wondered (all things being equal) what they were actually coming off the machine.

I have a lot of respect for what you are doing, as it's tough getting started and tougher to deal with the big boys once they decide they want your piece of the pie. You can never sit still for long in the bullet business

I had my own bullet company once and in the late 70's was going to do a match line of bullets with Randy and Connie down at Barnes. I didn't though (I couldn't stand Utah....)and that was home to them, as Idaho is home to me.

Anyway....good luck with your company and I will try your bullets in the future.

kind regards

Paul

Paul,

The concentricity is as accurate as the bearings in the machine. The listed accuracy for the machines used is .0001"

Don

Paul,

The reason I asked about how close you can get to the lands is because of the differences in the 2 designs. I knew you couldn't get close to the lands because the bore diameter is turned on the GS bullets and then the "bumps" go to the full diameter of the caliber. The first "bump" is so far back that the chamber would have to be really short to get the first "bump" close to the lands and still have enough "bumps" inside the neck to hold the bullet.

Groove Bullets are turned to the full diameter of the caliber and the "grooves" are turned into that diameter. By doing this one can get close to the lands and still have plenty of "grip" by the neck to hold the bullet.

This is what I meant by 2 totally different design concepts.

Sorry for not explaining these differences in more detail before.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

ppro,

Thanks for the exchange of info
smile.gif

I appreciate the fact that you are willing to try some Groove Bullets.

Have a good one,

Don

PP, are you loading the 173 grain HV bullets in a 300 RUM? If so I would be very interested in comparing notes. I have done some load development in my RUM, and I have been shooting the 130's in my 7 STW for a couple of years now with great results.
Vince

[ 10-10-2003: Message edited by: ss8541 ]

Vince
I have been using the 150 HV in the 30 Ultra...how is the 173 doing....I was worried that it would not stabilize but it sounds like it is doing fine in your gun.

I have a 7 Ultra that I want to develop mono bullet loads for but I thinking I will probably try some of the Groove bullets.......but I do like the BC's of the GS bullets and they have shot very well in my guns.

How has the 130 worked out in your STW...

Paul

Have you tried any of the Groove bullets?

regards

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.