28 nosler throat wear

Gobears16

I have a 28nosler that’s had around 350ish through it. I’ve measured to the lands and it’s worn .016. I’m curious if this is fast or about normal and when it be considered worn out. I don’t have a borescope and I’ll monitor the accuracy and speed. It’s shooting great right now. Want to get it dialed for the fall and then only verify a couple times before the hunt. I have a 6.5cm that I practice with at least 10-1 shots fired 6.5 to the 28. I typically take 3 min between shots (use a timer on my phone)... I was just curious other guys experience on throat wear on their 28’s.

Elkhuntn247

my 28 started losing accuracy at 350 rounds. Fire cracking was pretty bad. And the actual bore looked really rough. It still holds sub MOA. So I’ll still hunt with it this fall. Swap it out this winter

Gobears16

my 28 started losing accuracy at 350 rounds. Fire cracking was pretty bad. And the actual bore looked really rough. It still holds sub MOA. So I’ll still hunt with it this fall. Swap it out this winter
How much did the lands wear at 350rds?

Rhovee

That’s not to bad. Most people with N570 or RL33 and 195’s run them hot and get about .008 per hundred. I have a new barrel that has seen H1000 and Retumbo only with 184’s. Three shots let it cool. I am at .005 for first 100. So your not looking to bad.

Gobears16

That’s not to bad. Most people with N570 or RL33 and 195’s run them hot and get about .008 per hundred. I have a new barrel that has seen H1000 and Retumbo only with 184’s. Three shots let it cool. I am at .005 for first 100. So your not looking to bad.

That’s the kind of info I was looking for. I’ve been shooting only 195’s with RL33. I clean every 20-30 shots really well. At first I only cleaned after every 50-60 and saw huge spikes in pressure and found out it was a carbon ring. Since then it’s been great! A little finicky to iron out the Handload but overall it hits 24x24 plate at a mile 60-75% of time!

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce