270wsm accuracy problem

PEEWEE69

Rifle winchester model 70 sporter 24" the gun is all factory
At a 100 yrds with factory winchester whitetail 130 grn ammo the rifle will shoot 3/4 to 1 inch groups but with any other ammo factory or hand loads can't get any better than 2 inch group at 100 yrds any ideas as to why the gun won't shoot with other ammo

A Winchester rifle that will only shoot Winchester ammunition, sounds like a brilliant feat of diabolical engineering on their part...has conspiracy written all over it.:D:D:D

A rifle likes what a rifle likes, unfortunately you may never find a load that will shoot as well and are stuck using that factory ammo. I have a rifle that does the same, after literally a hundred different hand loads and multiple factory loads this thing would only shoot the cheap blue box Federals. I was either gonna have to sell it, rebarrel or face reality that I had to use that ammo if I wanted decent accuracy. Call it persistent or plain old hard headed but I kept tinkering and finally found a decent load with a projectile that I can live with.

You have several options:
Live with the performance (and cost) of the factory ammo
Do some work (have some work done) to it: bed, lap the barrel (or fire lap), rebarrel...ect
Sell it and try again
Keep trying with the hand loads

Like Bravo 4 said, a rifle likes whit it likes. One thing you can try is to make sure the action screws are torqued properly. I've played with 2 of them recently where torquing the screws made a significant difference in accuracy. Loosen all 3 screws enough to free the action a bit. Stand the gun up and tap the butt on the floor to make sure the recoil lug is seated against the stock as much as possible. Torque the front screw to 25 in/lb the torque the rear screw the same. Put a drop of blue loctite on the middle screw and just get it snug. Just one thing to check that doesn't cost anything before you decide to do some work to it or send it down the road. Good luck!

At a 100 yrds with factory winchester whitetail 130 grn ammo the rifle will shoot 3/4 to 1 inch groups but with any other ammo factory or hand loads can't get any better than 2 inch group at 100 yrds any ideas as to why the gun won't shoot with other ammo

Buy as much of this ammo as you can, when and where you find it, until you have enough of the life of the rifle, or barrel, or you.

Don't shoot your barrel up trying to find something else that might not exist. Get as much of it as you can from the same lot.

At my age, I am in the "or me" category. :D

Buy as much of this ammo as you can, when and where you find it, until you have enough of the life of the rifle, or barrel, or you.

Don't shoot your barrel up trying to find something else that might not exist. Get as much of it as you can from the same lot.

This would not be a problem if the bullet performance was better on game

This would not be a problem if the bullet performance was better on game
Oh... If terminal performance is not as expected, sell the rifle and get something else.
New gun? Factory barrel? It could be the barrel. you can create handloads till the cows come home, if you like to go to the range push money down the barrel. If you are confident the guns is shooting the best it can with factory/hand loads and performance is not there, don't chase a ghost. Unless you just need to clean the factory barrel because it's copper fouled....

Sorry, just saw that it is factory. Might want to try cleaning well between different loads or brands of ammo. It can take a barrel several shots to calm back down after a powder/bullet/copper change. I would shoot one type of ammo, clean, fire 10 shots, and after you start to get the rfile get back into it groove, before doing some group testing.

Re: 270wsm accuracy problem Model 70 Win

I tried cleaning, and different ammo, and hand loads, I couldn't get mine to shoot. I just dropped mine off at PacNor, putting a 1-8" twist 26" barrel on it to shoot 165gr Matrix pills. I have a lot of reloading stuff for this caliber, and I also want to go to a synthetic stock, so I used the opportunity to do a build with just the action.
If I were you, I would start with bedding the stock, and doing a very thorough cleaning of the barrel. My stock was not bedded very well from the factory. It was an after thought at best.
Good luck.

Haven't had time lately to mess with the 270wsm but gonna try pillar bedding and a really good cleaning and see if that helps if not I'm calling krieger

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.