Accuracy Problem

I have a very limited selection of ammo at this time. I am going to be gearing up to roll my own soon but at the present the best selection I have locally that I know of is Bass Pro and they don't have a lot of selections. I was going to try some Hornady factory ammo loaded with 165gr SST next.

I wanted to pick up some Winchester 168gr Match but can't find any. Savages paperwork claims that 168gr is the optimal weight bullet for this rifle or at least that is what they test with.

Thanks to all of you for your input on this.

I would assume the Hornady SST's should work much better. Give them a try and see how they perform. 150 to 175 is optimal weight bullets for the .308 caliber.

Tank

Thanks for the input. Could I ask for some clarification on this? Not sure if I totally understand the proper procedure.

Sure, if you have the scope on the rifle, which I'm assuming it is. Put it on your rest and without moving the gun line the crosshairs up with the target and move your eye back and forth without touching the gun. Due to the curvature of the lens sometimes the crosshairs "move" around. If the reticle stays fixed without moving then there is no parallex. If they move around, ditch the scope.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I would try the Bigngreen theory. I had the wedge screw come loose on my accustock on my 111 LRH and the groups blew up to 5" at 100 yards. I retorqued the wedge screw and my groups come back to shooting a ragged hole. Check that wedge screw it might be your problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.