270wsm 95gr ttsx, 100gr ac or 110gr ac

KyScott

Ok fella's looking for some advice on these bullets. My mom is hitting her mid 60's and im trying to reduce the recoil on her Ruger WSM a little and I just traded for a Model 70 Featherweight for my 15 year old daughter. Would like to hear which direction you guys think I should go. I shoot 130 Accubonds through my Shortmag and am very satisfied with there performance over the years on deer but haven't really fooled with any of the lighter bullets. The 130's shoot tiny little groups out of my Coyote Light over 64grs RL19. Will be used on Deer only. Also I have several pounds of RL19 and IMR4350 so any experience with these powders with the bullets listed above would be great also. Thanks a bunch and take care!

Slow the 130 grain pills down with the powders you already have. I'd drop to start charges in whatever book you got the data from as a start. If you need to, go with a slightly faster powder than rl19 so start loads will be a bit slower still.

I don't like to underload a larger chambering for a given bore diameter by using both a light for caliber bullet and a mild load. Weird things can happen like collapsed cases from powder leakage and unstable velocity loads.

Much better is a mild load with at least a mid weight for caliber bullet and a good recoil pad... possibly even a muzzle brake. If you want to drop recoil further than that, you will likely need to drop your chambering to something with a smaller boiler room.

Thanks Lefty7mmstw. I loaded some Nosler 130 balistic tips over 58.5 grains of IMR4350 which is 1/2 grain less than the minimum load showed in Nosler data but they still had a pretty decent punch.

im running 110 tsx's over 66.6grns of imr4350 and a 215 primer

70.5grns of retumbo under a 140 accubond and a 210 primer

and 68.4grns of retumbo under a 160grn partition with either 210 or a 215 primer

7828ssc has also shown promise under the 140's and 160's

Ok fella's looking for some advice on these bullets. My mom is hitting her mid 60's and im trying to reduce the recoil on her Ruger WSM a little

Have you considered a muzzle brake or supressor (pretty pricey at this time), if legal in your state/hunting area? An effective muzzle brake/suppressor will reduce the felt recoil and muzzle rise significantly.

Thanks for the info guys. I have considered a Muzzle break but I think a little lighter bullet will help and not be near as pricey. I think I'm gonna try the 100 grain Accubond over 64 grs IMR4350. I've seen quite a bit of info on the 6.8 forum and this looks like a pretty tough little Bullet. Neither would be shooting over 300 so we will see.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.