270WSM 169.5grn Wildcat range test

Budlight,

Just a note on those bullets, they are actually the original 168 gr prototype bullets from Wildcat. Since then the meplat has been redesigned and is much more consistant then the ones you pictured.

Here is a pic of the current production 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs.

348333.jpg

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen I wondered about that also because the HP tips varied slightly. The box does say 169.5 though. Maybe some day I'll have you doing some smithing for me and really get it sorted out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Up until these class of .277 bullets the whole .270 has been mostly overlooked are a bench gun or LRH. I've been an under dog for many years, but I would take .277 over any of the runts like .265, .25, and .243 when it comes to LRH. I really think that the 270AI has just enough case capacity to make them work. I know that it's still on the low end compared to Allen mags. I've considered necking my 7stw down before when I need a rebarrel

George

Budlight,

The 270 STW is a great round, you would not be unhappy. Now that I talked(paid) Dan Lilja to build 3 groove 1-8 twist 277 barrels we now have a true world class barrel for heavy weight 270 bullets.

There is more to come in the heavy weight 270 bullets from Wildcat Bullets, a 185 gr ULD RBBT is on the slate as we speak and there is talk of bullets up to 200 gr and possibly even heavier. Those may need a faster twist then the 1-8 but the 185 gr ULD RBBT will be perfect with this twist.

In my opinion though, they will need a STW sized case or larger to get the most out of them. From there up, the 270-7mm RUM, 270 AM and 277 AM will be perfect choices for long range big game rifle options.

I agree, the 270 has been overlooked to long, thanks to Richard Graves that may well come to an end!!

Kirby Allen(50)

not too hijack the post but what is the absolute heaviest 277 uld you think we can stabilize in our Allen Mags Kirby

just curious

take it easy
steve

Not to hijack the post but what is a 270AM, parent case, what kind of case capacity, velocity with various bullet weights?

I have a 270-300RUM, I had built before the 7mm Rum came to be. This 169.5gr bullet looks very interesting, but can't seem to find any ballistics data on it. Anyone care to give an approximate BC, calculated from velocity and bullet drop?

Lerch,

With the current 1-8 twist I would say the 185 gr ULD RBBT will be about perfect. The 200 gr ULD RBBT will be marginal in my opinion but may work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif, just have to see when the bullets get in the air.

A 200 gr ULD FB would probably work in the 1-8 twist though. I may be contracting Dan Lilja to build me some 1-7 barrels as well just for the 200 gr ULD RBBTs. We will see how the bullets form before going to that point.

The 185 gr ULD RBBT will offer nearly the same ballistic efficency as the 200 gr ULD RBBT in 7mm. Not quite the same I suspect but extremely close.

Kirby Allen(50)

Txhunter,

The 270 Allen Mag is basically your wildcat but improved to the Allen Mag shoulder angle and body configuration.

Velocity with the 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs is running in the 3300-3400 fps range depending on barrel length. 140 gr Accubonds can be driven to a bit over 3600 fps with top loads.

From my bullet drop testing over 1000 yards, I come up with a BC value of .740 at 3300 fps but again this is from bullet drop measurements only.

Kirby Allen(50)

I am currently pushing 135MK about 3820fps with 30" barrel, but would not hessitate to try 169.5gr projo @33-3400fps. This I think I must try.
What particular powders have you had the best results with so far. I've been using WC872 along with 5010 and have now moved on to AA8700. The last seems to be the best "slowest burning" that is. Have some H50BMG on the way, will see how it does.

Me and Bill Bailey were the first to guys to buy the 270 Allen Mag and every day this rifle seems to amaze me more.

We are using WC872 powder in them loaded up to 104grs right now but I will tell you that I am gonna step back to 103gr next time I load, 104 is a little hot on warm days

Hodgon is coming out with a extreme ball powder called US869, I think, this might be just the ticket for these rounds.

take it easy
steve

Kirby,
man I cant wait to get some of those 185's. Are they gonna be a open meplat like the 169's or more closed like your 7mm 200gr???

That would be amazing to get a 277 bullet with a bc above .8 or even close to .9

Is spring still the earliest we are gonna get these bullets or is Richard looking for some test subjects /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

if he is I think I know some lab rats who might throw their hats in the ring.

take it easy
steve

Txhunter,

I have hit 3850 fps with the 130 gr Ballistic Tip and thats all the harder I pushed the issue. Not a max load but plenty for me. THis was mainly for simple R&D as I much prefer a bit more bullet weight in this size case capacity.

With the 130-140 gr bullet weights, 8700 seems to be about right depending on the burn rate of the specific lot of powder. I have seen some as slow as H870 and others as fast as Retumbo in burn rate.

For the 169.5 gr ULD I prefer WC872 as its a bit slower then 8700. It may be a bit on the slow side but works very well with not alot of pressure concerns. With the 185 gr ULD RBBT this powder may be the best choice of all.

Richard and I are currently working on a system to DRAMATICALLY improve throat life. I just got the materials to test this and will be reporting soon as to its effectiveness. May add 800 rounds to the barrel life of a round such as the 270 AM or your 270-300 RUM.

As Lerch already stated, Hodgdons new to be released US869 may be the best powder yet for this class of round if it is as stable to temp changes as they are advertising. We will see, it will certainly get tested in my rifles.

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,

I do not know for sure what meplat the 185 will have. If I had to guess it will be a closed tip such as the 200 gr 7mm.

From the projected BC numbers I would say the BC will be on the upper end of the range you list but we will have to see.

Not sure when the bullets will be available either but I am pretty sure you two will be two of the first to get them in the air, just have a hunch on that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I cannot wait to test those bullets. For this kinda stuff I love being a guinie pig,( i am sure i spelled that wrong)

As for the Wc872 it is a great powder and is extremely cheap and easily available so I have few complaints on it. But it is temp sensitive.

before me and Bj's buffalo hunt we tested our drops on milk jugs out to 1000yds. Everyhting went fine until I tried to break a jug at 1k. The reading exbal told me was almost exactly 1 MOA off from what it had been a week before. The only difference was the first time we shot it was 55 degrees this time it was 25 or so.

A quick adjustment and 2 shots rendered 2 exploded milk jugs. Something about blowing something up at that range just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopefully US869 will solve this problem, if not it really isnt a big deal as long as we do the practicing we should be doing anyway

I sent you a email Kirby

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.