270wsm close range elk load

carpetman2

I am in the process of working up a close range load using Nosler 160 gr. Partitions and 61 gr. of RL17. My chrono is saying I am getting an ave. vel. of 3100 fps and ES of 15, SD 8 and 1 MOA with 5 shot groups. Thats at 1320 feet in elev. and they appear to be stable in a 1/10 twist. Does that sound right for vel? That is in a 24 inch factory Weatherby Vanguard series 2 barrel.

I am in the process of working up a close range load using Nosler 160 gr. Partitions and 61 gr. of RL17. My chrono is saying I am getting an ave. vel. of 3100 fps and ES of 15, SD 8 and 1 MOA with 5 shot groups. Thats at 1320 feet in elev. and they appear to be stable in a 1/10 twist. Does that sound right for vel? That is in a 24 inch factory Weatherby Vanguard series 2 barrel.

That sounds really good for velocity. I shot 62gr of 17 with 140ab in a rem 700 the other day and chronied 3280fps.

Yea, I am a little concerned it may be too good to be true. I heard RL17 will put on some vel. but time and testing will tell if the chrono is even close. When I get a chance I will go out and confirm at some longer distances. But if it is close that makes me want to hurry up and try the Matrix 165 gr.

Got my 165 gr. Matrix load worked up pretty good. 59 gr. of RL17, 215M primers, Nosler brass, seating depth 2000's off the lands for 3011 fps ave and 1/2" groups ES- 13 and SD- 7. Pressure signs of extractor marks, but no bolt issues or flattened primers. Like BignGreen says, this should be an elk killing round. With the Partitions for the close encounter and the Matrix for the distance my 270wsm is ready to roll. :) gun)gun)gun)

Close range, under a 100 yards or so bullet function I'm my opinion is more critical than a little bit of velocity...a partition should be able to drive and stay together no matter what it hits, 2800-3100 should blow right through any any animal you hit under a 100 yards, the only other bullet I would have 100% confidence in would be Barnes x-bullet, both have stood the test of time and range without question.

One thing to watch is R17 is not temp stable, if you banging on the red line you could be setting up for issues, I do run it but only with bullets under 140 gr, the new R16 I think is supposed to be a temp stable version of R17.
I don't worry about close hits, I've seen too many elk shot with the 165 inside 100 yards to be concerned, but in close our shot placement is in the neck or behind the shoulder, or we keep hunting.

What do you get for velocity using Retumbo with the Matrix 165? I was getting a descent load using 65 gr. Retumbo but had slow velocities around 2830. I was getting 3011 to 3022 with 59 gr. of RL17.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.