270win - ok - but looking for something with more punch

there seems to be plenty of 6.5 PRC ammo here
I'd do some serious research on a company advertising 500 rounds of 6.5 PRC for less than 60 cents a round before shipping. I'm not going to call it a scam, but the average cost for 6.5 PRC online has been $3-5+ per round.

Last edited:
thanks ducky - I am trying to check into it - what are some good ways or sites to do so?
I usually check to see how you pay, if they don't take credit card (CC) that's a big red flag. So is alternative forms of payment such as venmo, zelle, PayPal, Google Pay, Apple Pay, or Crypto currency. While this site does take CC or debit card for payment which gives the buyer protection, they also take many of the other forms which doesn't. Also call the number listed and see if you can talk to a live person.

I also use ammunition search engines such as Ammoseek.com, Grab-a-Gun, and Lucky Gunner as they do a pretty good job of weeding out scammers. Then you have the old stand by ammunition online sources Midway, Graf and Sons, Midsouth, Natchez, and etc. They may not be the most affordable place but you cab be pretty certain you'll receive what your order.

In the last year I've had my best luck buying bulk ammunition on Gunbroker.com. in the last year I've purchased 200 round cases delivered of 6mn Creedmoor $225 105 gr BTHP Hornady Black and 95 gr LRX Barnes Vor-TX for $200 both "Buy It Now". Just a couple months ago I was able to pick up another 200 round case of .308 130 gr TTSX Barnes Vor-TX for $420 (BIN) delivered. Which is selling for around $70 a box or $3.50 per round and 100 rounds of Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain for $150 delivered.

Last edited:
Scam written all over it....
  1. Just look at the spelling of the website. "EliteAmmoAsernal". ✔
  2. Note the plethora of ammo on the site, with available stock. Plenty of 6.5 PRC ammo at 50¢ per round. ✔
  3. Go to checkout. Payment option #1, Venmo ✔, #2 Zelle ✔

FYI - checking in with scampulse - is elite ammo a scam?

yes looks like it is - man cannot do hardly anything these days without someone calling or setting a trap

I also checked out the reviews on YouTube for that Mossberg Patriot and two out two reviews said it was a big time flyer after two rounds

I did call Elite Ammo and they spoke in broken English as well as the description of ammo was not coherent - another couple of red flags

thanks for the heads up - I'll be looking for some better ammo sites

Last edited:
I think if just wanting more punch than a 270win at the yardage mentioned I would suggest anything now labeled as a "magnum" in any caliber.

I have a Tikka 270Win that has done ok on elk for me but will be acting as guide for wife who is less mobile and so I am looking for input for another cartage that will work for more long range and have more punch -

I am looking at this Moosburg Patriout 338 WiinMag

Now I know its going to kick so I plan on putting on a combination break and silencer
That is why the shorter 22 in barrel might be a good idea -
But what about the trigger on this? I am thinking it might not be very smooth and crisp?
I think the Moosburg action should be ok?

I don't reload yet but plan on starting sometime - The 300 Win Mag looks like a good like choice also with all of
the ready made ammo available but I am also wanting to keep the cost down -

How come there is isn't any ammo available like it normally has been in the past?

Just for clarification are you looking for her to use something other than your 270 or are you looking for a different gun for you so that you can "back her up"?

Personally, I'd just have her work with the 270, it's a great round including for elk!

I have a Tikka 270Win that has done ok on elk for me but will be acting as guide for wife who is less mobile and so I am looking for input for another cartage that will work for more long range and have more punch -

I am looking at this Moosburg Patriout 338 WiinMag

Now I know its going to kick so I plan on putting on a combination break and silencer
That is why the shorter 22 in barrel might be a good idea -
But what about the trigger on this? I am thinking it might not be very smooth and crisp?
I think the Moosburg action should be ok?

I don't reload yet but plan on starting sometime - The 300 Win Mag looks like a good like choice also with all of
the ready made ammo available but I am also wanting to keep the cost down -

How come there is isn't any ammo available like it normally has been in the past?
Just get a 30;06, 200gr. bullets and 4350 or 4831, all you need for North America!!

It sounds like you want more punch for the wife because she's less mobile.
270 has plenty of elk punch out to 500 yards w/150ABLR. Supersonic to 1500!
Do you REALLY need more?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211107_144510.jpg
    Screenshot_20211107_144510.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 12
Fifty yard death dash, nothing wrong with that. The 270 with a hammer is all you need. 308 win. won't be any better.
I fully agree a .308 won't be any better than a .270 Win when it comes to elk. I simply was suggesting it since I read he was looking for a rifle for his wife, and he doesn't reload. How much .270 ammunition have you seen on a shelf for sale in the last two years, or .338 Win Mag? The .308 Win has been substantially easier to find for practice and hunting, and it doesn't hurt the old wallet nearly as bad either.