Powder trading,selling,ok? Not ok? Educate a new guy please.

smithjasona1978

Hey guys. I am still pretty new, and am getting ready to start to develop a accurate load for my new.300 win mag. I am comfortable reloading now. Got my technique down. So my problem is that I want to try as many different powders as I can get my hands on to find the most accurate with my rifle and bullet. But I don't need a whole pound of each powder to find out what she likes. Does anyone sell half or quarter pound quantities of rifle powder? How about trading? Any one else starting a new win mag and want to split the cost with me?
I don't really even mind spending the cash to buy several different powders, it just bugs me to waste it. I won't use it if I have something more accurate sitting on the shelf.

Would be handy that way. But individuals can not ship powder. That's if you were wondering about doing that.

Not sure if anyone does this anymore but I once found and got a hodgdon sample pack that had 4 different quarter pound samples in one package. If memory serves correctly I think they had a varmint pack and a magnum pack, the magnum pack I got had h-1000, rutumbo, and 2 other ones (cant remember what they were anymore). Like I say though that must have been 8 years ago and I really don't know if they still do that or not.

Powder is still a little scarce so I doubt you'll find any variety packs anywhere. The 300 WM is very popular and there's a lot of good info available if you search. Once you have your bullet picked out do some research into which powders go well with it. Chances are you can narrow it down to just 1 or 2 powders. I've had good luck with H1000 behind 208 grain bullets and H4831SC with 168s.

WOW! I had know idea that its illegal to send powder in the mail. Wonder why midway can do it but I can't? Hhmmm, they must be special. Figures.

Anyway, first on my list is H1000, then RE22, Magpro,IMR 7828, Winchester wxr. Guess I will just start with the first one I find and go from there.

My bullet of choice will be Hornady 208 A max. Until I can get my hands on some of the new eld 200 or 212 g. Anyone know what the length of the eld 200 and 212 is compared to the 208?

Well thanks for all of the information guys.

H1000 and the 208 Amax go well together. A lot of people like this combo and I have had good luck with it in 3 different rifles. I have tried Ramshot Magnum (very similar to MagPro) and PP4000MR but couldn't get decent groups. I think it was the Magnum powder that started showing promise but I hit pressure signs right as the groups started to tighten up. H1000 works well though, producing 3/8 to 5/8 moa groups in all 3 rifles. That's with virgin brass and no weight sorting.

7828 or the SSC version would be another good choice. I've not tried it myself but others have had success with it. And it's readily available. H1000 is hard to come by unfortunately.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.