270 wsm

BHB

Hi everyone! My name is Dan, and I am trying to get some info for reloading a 270 wsm with re17 and 140 grain bullet. I've looked in all of my manuals but they don't list it. A starting point and max would be cool. Thanks!!!

I think RE17 is designed for short magnums so it "should" work, but Alliant's site only show RL19, 22 & 25.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

The Berger manual lists Re17 for the 284 Winchester with a 180g bullet. The starting load is 40g, almost the same as IMR4350, but 2.5g less than H4350 and 3.5g less than RE19. The 270WSM with a 140 starts at 53.5g for IMR4350, and 55g for RE19. So living dangerously, you might try a starting load of 53g of RE17. Or you might find somebody who actually knows what he's talking about and get a better number. It's your life you're risking, not mine ... Play safe.

My impression is that maybe RE17 is intended for slightly smaller case volumes. It works great in my 6.5-284.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I always try to play safe. I've used it in my 270 win. I just thought I would try it in the 270 wsm. Maybe I'll just forget that idea and just use the re17 in the 300 wsm. I don't want to blow up! Thanks again for the info and happy hunting and reloading!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.