270 WSM reloading newb

BlackSS

I have a savage 270 WSM (1 in 10) that is shooting sub MOA (barely) with federal premium 140 gr nosler accubonds and 130 gr nosler ballistic tips.
I'm looking to get a little more out of it. I just ordered a RCBS rock chucker master reload kit.I plan to purchase a casing trimmer to go with it.
Anything else I really need to get started?
I have never reloaded, so there will definitely be some experimenting and a lot of reading, but I would like to start in the right neighborhood.

Suggestions for powder, primers and bullets would be appreciated. If anyone has any recipes for a similar gun I'd like to hear those as well.

TIA

Ill put in a plug for Redding dies, and digital calipers, as well as a primer pocket brush(lrg), Redding sizing die wax, and a vld champher tool, and pitch your R.C.B.S. trickeler as soon as you get it and buy a Redding trickler! Much heavier and doesnt tip over near as easy. Id also recomend a small scrap of plywood to set your trickler on to dump into the pan with out bumping your pan on the scale.
A tumbeler is also handy, for keeping your dies in good shape, and showing pressure signs (cracks etc) by keeping the brass clean.
I load 62gr of RL-19 with 140 Accubonds, and Fed. 215 Mag primers .015 off the lands. Ive pushed them all the way to 64 gr, but backed off due to flat primers, and better accuracy with 62gr.
RL-19 seems to be a proven powder in alot of 270wsm's. Look at Nosler.com for load info with thier bullets as well.
Theres alot of Savage owners here, you may want to ask Bigngreen, or Liltank, about any quirks or tricks with the Savage. I dont know if there are any, but Id trust thier knowledge on the subject.

Man, I got to get a different gun so I can post something more interesting :)

Anyway, Redding S full length dies, you might as well just start with them!! I use a RCBS trickler and it is a pain and one of these day's will be replaced by the Redding. Primer pocket tool is a must so you have uniform depth unless you run straight Norma brass. VLD chamfer tool is also a must, makes seating way smoother. Don't be afraid of the lube, WSM brass seems to want to get stuck easier than most, clean and lube the die BEFORE you size your first case and if you don't you can post and we'll tell you how to build a case puller before you jack up your die:rolleyes:

You say it's a 1-10 twist, is it a custom barrel? I shoot a Savage model 12 and love it!! I had one problem and that was the head space was way long, hard on brass if you romp on it. I would check the head space, it's not hard.

I'm shooting a 1-11 twist so I shoot 140 Bergers and did shoot some 140 Accubombs, both are awesome choices. With a 1-10 twist I would try some 150's but really you have to push them hard to get much more than what the 140 will deliver so what ever is most accurate. I shoot Retumbo powder and Fed 215 primers. I run the 140 Berger at 3307 fps.

It is kind of custom, it is a lefty model 10 fcp, i didn't specify twist rate, it just came in 1 in 10 according to the build sheet.

I shot 150 gr fusion and they were awful, but that's the only 150 gr I have shot thus far. Build sheet recommended 130 gr.

Is there a prefered online store for ordering reloading stuff? I'm not going to be replacing brand new parts of the reloading kit, but I do need dies, caliper, bullet puller and casing trimmer. I plan on re-using some federal brass that I have (about 3 boxes worth) before I buy new brass.

How many rounds are people getting out of 270 WSM cases?

Been doing some browsing on midway. Here is what I think I will get to start with:

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller
Forster Original Case Trimmer

Forster Original Case Trimmer Collet #3

Forster Classic, Original, Power Case Trimmer Pilot #27, 27 Caliber (277 Diameter)

Is that right? One collet and one pilot for the trimmer?

Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner

Smith & Wesson Dial Caliper 4" Stainless Steel

Redding 3-Die Set 270 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM)
Nosler AccuBond Bullets 270 Caliber (277 Diameter) 140 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Box of 50
Sierra GameKing Bullets 270 Caliber (277 Diameter) 140 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Box of 100

I'm going to give the wallet a little break and skip on the case tumbler for now. I'll pick up some primers and powder locally, I can't see paying a hazmat shipping charge. I think I have 2 pretty good bullet choices to start with. I may try a 130, 135 or 150 later as well if I'm not happy with these.

Last edited:
You may want to check the twist rate, I haven't seen a Savage 270 with a 1-10 twist, not that it couldn't happen but you might want to confirm that. Check the head spacing, take a new case and put scotch tape on the back of the case, see how many you can get on the back of the case, just so you know what your working with.

Looks pretty darn good!
I dont know about the Forster trimmer - as Ive never used one, but I know the Lyman screws to the table/bench-(handy to have it anchored) and comes with a bunch of piolts, and is under $100.00. I think I gave like $82.00 for mine. (might save you some $???)

The 140 Accubond seems to be a good solid choice for the 270 WSM, I would try the 140 Berger also, these are my two favorites in mine. I set them both at .015 of the lands.
I found that the Hornady head space guage is an excellent tool to get things set with more precission.

Here's the head space gauge. Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator - MidwayUSA
And here's the comparator, Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set with 6 Inserts - MidwayUSA

You use the head space gauge to set up you die so your just bumping the shoulder back and to see how you cases are moving.
And the comparator you use to measure bullets and to measure your over all length, it measures from the o-give of the bullet instead of the tip which is more consistent. You can buy the holder and the single size or in kit form.
I wish some one would have told me to buy them when I started, it would have saved me a lot of time, you can't know what is going on if you can't accurately measure things!

So I can buy the 400 diameter bushing, the comparator body, and the .277 comparator insert instead of the kits?

I am trying to get everything I need in one order, but I really don't understand how to use this. I've tried looking it up and mostly what I'm finding is head space gauges for checking the chamber on the gun, not reloading.

Any more info on how you actually use this?

I've got a Browning A Bolt in 270 WSM. I've had great luck with 140gr Accubonds and Win 780 Supreme powder. Max load is 67.4gr. WLRM primers and Federal Brass. Around 3150fps quarter sized groups at 200 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.