270 wsm load help

bhunting

I have my new gun all completed and have been doing some shooting. I am using Hornady sst in 140 grains with the H4831 powder. I am shooting 62 gr of powder and it is showing a little sign of pressure but still ok. I shot it through the crono the other day and was only at 3025. I was hoping for a little more out of this gun and found where others say they are getting more. Anybody else out there getting more out of their 270wsm?

You look to be right in line with the Hodgdon manual for that load, I would go to a slower powder like H1000 or Retumbo. Magpro gave me good velocities also but I got better accuracy with Retumbo but certainly worth a look.
My load for all 140's is 71gr of Retumbo and I get 3300-3440 fps out of a 26in barrel.

how long is your barrel. I am getting around 3300 fps out of a 28 inch barrel and reloader 19. it seems that i am 64.5 gr of rl 19 if i remember right but with a 130 gr bullet. I have some 140 gr bergers that I intend to test here soon though and will let you know what I am getting out of those.

The guys have given you good advise. Change powders! I checked the Hogdon web site and 62.5 grains is the max listed for a 140 grain bullet and the velocity shown is 3085 ft/sec. If you are looking for velocity you will be hard pressed to beat Magpro. The Accurate Arms web site lists 3275 ft/sec with 74 grains of Magpro. I was never able to get the accuracy that I wanted with Magpro but some people have. Retumbo and RL-22 are also good choices. I have not used Retumbo but others have with great results. I have used RL-22 with very good velocity and accuracy.

Thanks for the input. I went and picked up some Retumbo and have loaded some shells to try out. I was also loading the hornady sst's and now picked up the nosler accubonds. I was getting good groups out of my other load but just wasn't satisfied so I am starting over again and had heard the retumbo was a good choice so I will let you guys know how it turns out.

I made it to the range today and am much more pleased! It liked 70.5 grs of the retumbo at 3270. I was showing no signs of pressure and the gun really liked it. Thanks for the help!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.