270 wsm good or bad?

summitsitter

I recently purchased a Winchester model 70 coyote in 270wsm. I've been looking around on this sight for 3 days now. I don't see hardly anybody even mention this caliber. Is there something wrong with it. Is it capable of making long range shots and killing a deer cleanly. I have friends how shoot this caliber and love it but again they never shoot over 300yds. Should I just wait and get another caliber instead of the 270wsm if I wanna shoot and be accurate ate 600-700 yards?

SummitSitter,
I have the same rifle/caliber and I really like mine. Doing load development for mine. I have only loaded and shot the 130gn Ballistic TIp and the 135gn SMK. Both easily shoot .5" or better. I haven't chrono'd any loads yet but from all accounts I have, it's faster than the .270Win.
I'll probably go to the 140gn bulet for deer. I saw a cross section of the Ballistic Tip and AccuBond (same cal/weight) and there wasn't any difference that I could tell (other than price). If the NBT is more accurate than the AB then that's what I'll probably use. I think Barnes is coming out with a 120gn TSX in this caliber.
Heck yeah it'll kill a deer out to 6-700yds! With a accurate 140gn bullet at 3200+ fps it'll be a death ray. Look at the ballistics compated to the other .270's and 7mmRM. As my pappy used to say "I can show ya better than I can tell ya".....JohnnyK.

I own a mod 70 .270 wsm and it shoots great. I don't have the specific load data with me right now but it shoots around 3200fps and will shoot sub moa. I use the nosler 130 gr ballistic tips with a winchester mag primer. When first working the loads up, I wasn't as accurate as I wanted. My gun has a laminant wood stock on it so I took it in and had the barrel floated, the action bedded, and the trigger pull lowered down to 1.9#(as low as it would go safely). It shoots great now. I killed a deer two years ago at 849 with it. I like it, although I wish it had a better selection of bullets with higher BC's.

I have a 270 WSM in a HS Precision 2000P handgun, even with the short barrel, I am able to get close to 2900 fps. Extremely accurate, took two deer with it this past season
nmhunter
DSCN0389.jpg

I have the 270WSM and it is very capable of taking deer cleanly out to the ranges you are looking at going and even further. My favorite load is the 140gr Accubond, especially since the chance of a close encounter is very real where I hunt and has occurred on occasion, as close as 10 yards so far. Although the ballistic tip and accubond may appear the same they are not. The accubond has the core bonded to the jacket to prevent them from separating and in my experiences has proven to be true. The ballistic tip is pretty fragile and although an excellent longer range round, if there is the possibility of a close encounter or heavier game I would stick with the accubond to avoid blow ups, especially since you will be pushing the 130gr version to over 3300fps.

I have a custom bult 270wsm that I really like for deer. I shoot 140grn Accubond and use H4831SC powder. I won't post my load since I am over max. My rifle is bulit to handle the extra pressure, and it is safe in my firearm, but would not be in a factory gun. Depending on air temp, I am getting between 3275, and 3300fps with the 140 out of a 26" barrel. This combo has taken deer/antelope at 576, 625, 672, 678, 724, and 826, plus lots of closer ones. I ven shot and luckily killed a cow elk at 685. It took two shots, and neither bullet made the other side of the animal. That is why I am building a bigger gun for elk hunting this year. On elk this gun should really be limited to 350-400 yards IMHO.

Aroshtr

I really like my Remington model 700xcr in 270wsm. This last season was shooting factory Winchester 150gr. Power Point ammo. Took a mule deer doe at 298yds. one shot behind front shoulder. Went through both lungs and excited. Yesterday I recieved a box of Berger's 150gr. VLD bullets from Midway. Going to load them up with AA Magpro and Ramshot Magnum powder. I have been hitting 6" rocks consitantly at 500yds. with factory ammo.

140 Grain Accubond: Try 63grns (or more) of H4831SC with a Fed 215M primer in a winchester case. In a factory Barrel you should get around 3200fps.

Groups well with no more than 35fps variation.

I'm shooting a 150 gr Berger VLD, 56.5 gr (edited 156.5 Here's my sign) of H4350, Rem primer and case. Average of 2926.73 fps (15 shot). I've set up a Excel sheet that I put in all my data with the weather conditions for that day. As the weather gets nicer and conditions change we'll see what it does.

Last edited:
Bwahahahahahaha!! No wonder my shoulder hurts!!!!!:D maybe from pushing all that powder in the cases:rolleyes:

I don't know how I missed that typo.

light bulb It's the new 270 wsm xxxl.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.