OK Evaluate these..Be honest good or bad..

Ric
Just to clear things for me - the 750 yd group was your first 3 shots [no sighters?].
That is - you read the conditions and then fired 3 shots?
If that is the case I am very IMPRESSED compared to a 3 shot group which could be buried amongst any 3 of sighters and other groups. I would appreciate an answer on this.

Ric--if those were my first three shots from a dirty bore at 750, I'd have done something in my pants---1-1/4"
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
worksfor me
wink.gif

How did thefirst group go? first three?

BTW--i agree vertical looks very good on you 895 group--hard not to shoot a weather report in those conditions.

JB

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Boyd, knowing the particulars of your .187 group, thats some nice shooting! Did you ever find a reason why they would go to heck at 1000 yards?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Barrel heat was the leading cause of it I think.The gun would put the first five or six shots into 4 or 5 inch's at 1000 yards.Then it would open up.When the gun was rechambered to a 300wsm.Burning 22gr less powder.Things got better.It has since shot in the 6's

APB,

The Mike Rock barrel is pretty awesome! I shot 35 rounds through it the other day .. it took 3 wet patches, 10 stokes with a brush, 2 wet patches and then 3 dry to clean it!

Ok the 3 shot group went like this... went to my "bunker" (thats what the wife calls it..) picked up the rifle and 3 rounds.. went to my prone area laid down.. looked at conditions checked the atrag for validation of my guess... I was off by a little...

I knew from the other day that I needed more MOA with the formed tips... I had tried 26 MOA the other day and remembered that is was still a little low... dialed in to 27 and shorted the wind reading.. but I fired the 1st round and it looked right but pretty good so I fired 2 more.

I feel pretty good about my reading conditons and I have been precticing as much as I can.. so thank you! for the compliments!

I guess I am fortunate to be able to "go out back" and shoot to unlimited distances if I choose.. I just wish I had a shooting buddy as I would like to compete in various sniper comps in the future...

Wyo,

I am in Green River. Cloudy and supposed to snow again tonight and tomorrow. And I was going to try out the new muzzle brake too!!!
mad.gif
Maybe Sunday I guess.

Ric
I would volunteer for the shooting partner position however there is probably not a big demand for Aussie wine salesman in Cody?
I am off to New Zealand this Friday for my version of a pd shoot - rabbits and Canada geese.
Will be trying for a new pb distance.
I believe your practice is exactly on track.
You are focussed on performance with each shot. 3 shots from cold bore prove the level of consistency you require and generate the amount of barrel heat etc for your application.
I am not familiar with Sniper Comp but would expect that a competition would consist of 20/30 rounds max? with one shot per target over various distances.
It would be most challenging if laser range finders were not allowed for some portion or all of a shoot along with differing target sizes/types.
APB

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.