270 Winchester, 6.5-06, or 25-06 Fast Twist Deer Rifle

I grew up over 60 years ago using a 32. Winchester Special - model 94 LEVER ACTION - and the 170 grain Silver Tips - at only 2,200 fps or so - really dropped deer. If there are somewhat equal choices - always like a heavier bullet for the shock factor delivered. So for moi - I would go with the .270 - which was also very popular back then - but my dad had the trusty ole 30.06 Sporterized Springfield 1903 - if we needed longer range shots than in the Oregon Timber - usually not more than 100 yards.

So when I look at a caliber I wanna see the usable range of bullets and try to be practical on that. I like to think where one caliber stops my next caliber picks up. (Relatively of course)

In my head I don't worry about super light for caliber bullets. So the usable range of that 300 is 150's and up. So I'd favor a 270 or the 6.5-06 because the heavy for caliber versions of those rounds which is what you want in the long range aspect puts them right at the lower range of the 300. Yes there is a little overlap but it's grey area.

I think, in this instance I'd do the 6.5. My only downside I can see is that with the target crowd you have a lot competition for bullets. Cool factor and old school nostalgia go to the hot rod .270 though.

Sooooo stuck on this, I have a stock, a trigger, and a 06 length action, looking to install a fast twist 26" barrel for long range shooting and deer. I have a custom 300 for elk works, and a 35 Whelen for a timber rifle, looking at 3 long range options, no I do not want a 6.5 CM or PRC ! not interested, but have an associate with a long range 270 win with the new 170 grain berger. Handloads are mid 2900 fps (very impressive!) and he also has a 25-06 fast twist shooting the new 133 grain Bergers at 3000 fps. The ballistics are quite amazing with these slippery bullets, brass is available and standard, even the 6.5-06 is easy enough to work with.......stuck on cartridge selection. Thoughts? and hoping for gents who have these rifles.
I inherited a 6.5x06. it's an absolute tack driver. With 140 to 160 weight bullets. It's on a thumbhole stock. I am left handed and it's right handed. Built on a Mauser action with an ER SHAW BARREL 26 INCHES LONG AND FLUTED. CALL THEM AND ASK. IT would probably run around 1500

I love the opinions....however my mind is made up on case style, I am located in Canada, the chances of components being an issue preclude entertaining the 6.5 RPM. 7mm or 280 is out, don't care for it, my choice, 6.5 - 284 thought about but after some contemplation...no will be using an 06 case period. Looked at the AI or improved route but would like to stay with the "stock" case so to speak, again sourcing the specialty items in Canada is a challenge. I looked hard yesterday for components, brass and bullets, 6.5 bullets are plentiful, heavy .277 bullets were non-existent and heavy .257 bullets were non-existent. This is a factor for sure. Don't forget we are the red headed step child in Kanadastan when it come to components.

Sooooo stuck on this, I have a stock, a trigger, and a 06 length action, looking to install a fast twist 26" barrel for long range shooting and deer. I have a custom 300 for elk works, and a 35 Whelen for a timber rifle, looking at 3 long range options, no I do not want a 6.5 CM or PRC ! not interested, but have an associate with a long range 270 win with the new 170 grain berger. Handloads are mid 2900 fps (very impressive!) and he also has a 25-06 fast twist shooting the new 133 grain Bergers at 3000 fps. The ballistics are quite amazing with these slippery bullets, brass is available and standard, even the 6.5-06 is easy enough to work with.......stuck on cartridge selection. Thoughts? and hoping for gents who have these rifles.
I had Douglas put a 26" 7.5 twist 25-05 AI on my Action. I LOVE IT.

I was having the same debate a few years ago. I decided to go with a 6.5-06 in my 70 with a heave 30" octagon barrel and custom walnut stock. after 2 years got it back and worked out a load and at first couldn't get it to shoot with a LR 142 so finely tried the old dependable140 Berger now it will shoot 5 shots punching hole you can cover with a dime at 100 doing 2984. Its a keeper for me!

I have used both 25-06 and 6.5-06 I used lapua brass for both cal, I necked 30-06 lapua down.The 25 is a bit of a barrel burner but if you are hunting with it, it should not be a problem.I Used them for target shooting and both performed really well, to be honest it's a question of choice,I wouldn't want to separate them

I would probably choose the 6.5-06 myself. Looks the most proportional of any of the 06 based cartridges to me and is right at the sweet spot of capacity to obtain exceptional ballistics without being overbore. With most suitable powders in a 26" barrel, you're looking at 2900ish for 156s, 3000ish for 140s, 3050ish for 135s and 3100ish for 130s. Add 80-100 FPS for the high performance powders like RL 26 and VV 565. RL 23 is a very well balanced powder that works with all of the above weights and is exceptionally stable. Probably easiest to neck up 25-06 brass vs necking down and trimming the extra .050 of the 270 neck. Peterson brass is available for both and is very nice; just might have to wait awhile to find it. 7.5 twist if you're under 1000ft elevation, 8 twist if above that will work with all available bullets minus some of the extra long monos.

That being said I would base the decision on what components you could find before your barrel is ready in the current market. It's not fun to finish your rifle and not have everything you need to shoot right away.