270 Win w/130 gr Sierra 52 gr. IMR4350

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Just thought I would share this load w/you guys. A customer gave it to me today and said it only dropped 1/16" from 100 yds to 500 yds!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif That must be one sweet shootin' rifle to see that 1/16" of inch @ 500 yds. Must put them all in the same hole. I tried to keep a straight face talking to him, but I know I was grinning ear to ear!!!

Who needs an Allen Mag when the standard 270 Win will do this!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

****, wish I'd known that before spending all those months planning and waiting on the new rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I could have just bought a used 270 for a couple hundred and spent another hundred or so on a scope and I would have saved a bundle of money and I'd have ended up with something that shoots "flat" to 500 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wouldn't have to order those goofy, long, pointy bullets all the way from Canada either.

Maybe I'd better just sell this rainbow shooting 7mm AM and get a real long range 270 super duper factory special. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope this new found super load doesn't get out to too many people or it could be really rough on Kirby, Shawn and the other smiths.

Nah, I'm a glutton for punishment. I think I'll stick with what I've got and just tough it out at long range. The 270 Win would just take all the fun out of it. Wonder how much it'll drop at 1000 yards??? 1/8" maybe?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now yer talkin' to one of the world's least known experts on the 270 Win.

That there load the fella is talkin about can't be going any more than somewhere between 2700 and 2800 and it just won't do the 1/16" thing.

But.......Stick 58.5 gr of 4350 in there and and the 130 will be up around 3200. Now upair in that region he'll get his first calibration shot off @ 100 yds then spend the rest of the day figgerin' out how to get that case out of the chamber or the muzzle will look like a well mushroomed TSX. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill, you and 4kd Horn must be magnets for these kind of guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Stick 58.5 gr of 4350 in there and and the 130 will be up around 3200.

[/ QUOTE ]

He told it was running 2700 fps. He also told me he had it up to 3200 fps but the bullet just "vaporized" @ about 300 yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Said he'd used this load to kill everything from coyotes to deer to elk to moose to a big Alaskan brown bear and nothing ever went more that 30 yds!!!! To bad he wasn't 20 yds from that bear!!!!

what he probably meant was that the gun shot so poorly that the lowest bullet hole in the one hundred yard group was only a 1/16th on an inch from ONE of the bullet holes from the 500 yard group!

62 grains of R-22 with a Mag primer like CCI 250 can get a 130 moving. I don't have chrono data on some of my old notes in the reloading books. You only get 3-4 shots out a win 270 case before the primers are loose.

I've never had bullets vaporise out of a gun larger than a 220 Swift and that was shooting some kind of 40 ish grain bullet. Nothing big would hit paper at 100 yards. It was before they started speed rating some varmint type bullets

Bill isn't it great to have a job like that. I'm sure you come home smiling every night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill,

Out of the 270 Win - 24" douglas bbl:

Have chrono'd 90gr bullets @3700+ w/N204 - accurate &amp; not too hot.
100gr bullets @ 3600 w/4320
130gr bullets @ 3200 w/N205 &amp; 4350 (std deer/elk/moose load)

Rebarreled w/27" lilja:
Nos 130 BT @3330 RL-22/59gr
Hor 140 @3256 RL-22/59gr

All W-W brass. Too hot for REM cases.

Never "dusted" a bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Always more than 10 reloads per case. Usually in the 20s.

And, I know who O'Connor was. That's why when the Navy sent me to Idaho for 4 years, within a week I had a local smith put the 270 bbl on a Mauser action that I picked up on the way in from my last station. (Only because the store in Boise greased up the riflings in the surplus 7x57 barrel. Then when cleaned it looked like lava rock down the bore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Really loved the 7x57 for those PA. Whitetails.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.