.270 Win purchase

Dosh

Last Tuesday my son called, one of his employees need some cash and wanted to sell a rifle. He doesn't shoot or hunt and said he need $250 ASAP. I met him to look at a $250 rifle not expecting much i.e. a ***. Turned out to be a nearly pristine 33 year old Ruger Tang 77. I gave him the $250 plus a little extra for gas "nice kid". It was kind of dirty, but cleaned up nicely. Went through my misc. box and found some Federal brass and Hornady 130gr Interlock bullets. Loaded 20 rounds with 60.0gr of H4831SC and 210M primers and borrowed a 3X9X40 Nikon just to see how it shot. Wow

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 57
Great deal!

I picked up a 257 Roberts (Ruger M77) from a widow last year and had the same results. The rifle was in near mint condition, had an old tasco scope mounted on it, and only cost me $400. I took the gun to the range and shot a good group with factory ammo.

This was my first Ruger M77, since then I bought another one in 270 from a guy that didn't want it. Gun shoots great. I have read that the barrels suck but I love the guns. I will buy more as they come available.

I have loaded for a number of 270 Wins and it seems that 60 grs of either of the
H 4831s with most any 130 cup and core bullet goes together like apple pie and ice cream.
My Ruger 77 find was this: I got it from an estate sale. The man had been a bench rest shooter and had a BUNCH of stuff. His widow had not sold anything for about 20 years after his death when she finds she has cancer and will die from it and decides to sale everything before she dies. There was this Ruger 77 that had a 24" varmint barrel, chrome molly blued of unknown make, in 30x47 (300 Savage case with shoulder pushed back 10 thousands inch). It had a Canjar trigger on it. It also had a Lyman 12 power target scope on it. The man had just had the rifle built, this was in the 1980s, and had only shot it about 50 times with cast bullets testing loads from the paper work that was with the rifle when he ups and dies. He apparently had the rifle built as a hunter class bench rest rifle and was going to shoot cast bullets in it. I got the rifle, scope, dies, 100 cases with all the mans data and shot targets for $350. This rifle is a bug hole shooter. I have killed a trailer truck load of deer with it. 125 Nosler BT 42 grs IMR 4895, 2850 fps = BANG FLOP. :D

I neglected to mention I bedded the stock "walnut" also. Can't wait to try some new brass and premium bullets. The barrel was very easy to clean too. If the groups are any tighter, I'll put a nice 4X16 scope on it and keep it or give it to a grandkid.

Last edited:
My old Mod 77 tang safety had a good barrel too. Back then, it was "said" ( could be urban legend too!) that ruger only paid $17 a barrel from an outsource. I know I fought my old Belgium BAR 270 "until" I broke down and used your load...a 130 over 60gr H4831sc! ha. I was also told that the BAR could handle the slow powders. I don't shoot it much so not worried about it. Good find for you Pard!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.