270 win OAL questions

summitsitter

Last night I was going to load some rounds for my dad's remington 700 270. Using the hornady OAL gauge I came up with 3.53 (bullet on lands). Something can't be right about that. The bullet barely sits in the cartrigde. I checked it a bunch of times and even did the old way of putting the bullet in the cartridge and the using the bolt to check the lenght. What's the deal?

ALOTTO headspace is my answer. But I'm an amatuer.

Even if it does chamber does it cycle from the Magazine?

Best of luck with the measurements

It's just got a long throat. A lot of rifles have a throat that is so long that you can't get close to the lands with the bullet. I'd load it as long as I could and still cycle through the magazine.

The standard OAL for the .270 Win is 3.340"

Are you using a very light (short) bullet?, as 2/10" longer than std OAL isn't all that bad.

AJ

I just loaded some 130 NBT for my buddy's 270 BDL and could only get within .040 of the lands and still have enough bullet in the case for alignment. They still shot great.

Like AJ said, load 'em as long as you can and give it a shot.

Loading Hornady 130 sst in them. This may be dumb but how much of the bullet do I need to leave in the case neck.

just worried about some type of safety issure here.

7MM you seat the bullet to what ever diameter of it is.

Using your .270 as an example, I would try to get a minimum of .250-.270 of the bullet in the neck of the case, not counting the boattail. With long throats and\or short bullets this may drive how close you can get the bullet to the lands.

One bullet diameter is usually enough to give good case to bullet concentricity.

One bullet diameter is the old rule of thumb but not necessary. As long as the bullet is held straight and doesn't move with whatever type of abuse it will be subjected to it is fine. I would seat to whatever shoots best and/or fits the magazine depending on preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts