270 Win, 130g TSX and 22-243 Middlestead question

dog caller

I just bought a new 116FLSS in 270 Win. Eventually, I plan to blow it out to an Ackley Improved. Till then, I would like to find a 130 TSX load to play with. Any suggestions? I have on hand plenty of H4350, H and IMR 4831, AA3100 and IMR 4064. Also plenty of GM210M's and CCI 200 and 250's. I've heard that RL22 is a good powder for a 270 and would not be opposed to buying a pound to try. If anyone has any tried and trued loads with any of these components, I would love to hear about them. The Ackley Improved project will probably wait till next winter and I don't want to have to wait that long to play with this rifle some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also have a new model 11 Savage that is at the gunsmiths right now having the 22-250 barrel punched out to 22-243 Midd. and would be interested in loads for that one, too. I wanted to try out this caliber with minimal cost before I spent $$$ on a good barrel. The factory tube is 1-12 and 22 inches.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The 22-243, in any of its varients, is a great cartridge and a blast to shoot. Unfortunately, you will never be able to realize its potential in a 22", 12 twist barrel.

A case that large really benefits from heavy bullets like the 75gr A-Max or 80gr VLD/HPBT bullets. Light bullets in large cases burn lots of powder for small returns in velocity. You may not even see that much velocity increase with light bullets in that short of a barrel.

I shoot a 22-243AI with a 28", 8 twist barrel. I get about 3,670 ft/sec with the 75gr A-Max and the accuracy is amazing. I have made many kills on groundhogs out to 900yds. This setup shoots extremely flat, resists wind well, destroys varmints and has low recoil. You could not get this type of performance from the light bullets at any attainable velocity in the 22-243 Mid.

If I were you I'd save the rechambering money and put it towards a fast twist .224 barrel. You'll be glad that you did.
347921.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

If I were you I'd save the rechambering money and put it towards a fast twist .224 barrel. You'll be glad that you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would normally agree, VH, but a friend of mine bought a reamer and we have a mutual friend who is a good 'smith so the rechambering has no cost. I just had to present him with a cold beer when he came to get my rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My afor mentioned friend just got his rifle back from our smith friend and has just begun playing with it. So far, he thinks it is great! I want to eventually make a nice coyote rig out of this gun. I'll re-stock, re-barrel, re-whatever it needs when I get the time/funds to do it all with. The only change until then will be a Rifle Basix trigger (should be here Wednesday) and a re-chamber just so I can play with it a little. Maybe I can find something that it will shoot until the big conversion. Anyways, it will be fun/frustrating trying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, nice looking pile o' chucks! I wish we had 'em around here. I get to waste my time on prairie dogs. Fun but not as cool as woodchucks would be. Fine looking rifle, too! The thing that most impresses me about your picture is the green stuff under foot! We're so dry around here that the only green is the stuff we spend on water bills!!

dc

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.