270 Allen Mag Reborn-Thanks to Matrix Bullets

Do you think that the bullet is coming apart, or just that the bullet flight angle is wrong ?

The reason I ask, is that there are some interesting articles and information within the GS Custom web site about the twist, SG, etc for different distance use.

I am sure that you already know this, but if a bullet is being spun very fast, then it will tend to maintain its angle through the flight, regardless of where it is in the path and drop curve. This assumes that the flight is stable of course.

Which CEB did you buy - the MTH ?

In the GS line, maybe the 270130HV191 would work. The 120 grain version is too stable past 500 yards according to the web site. It is interesting that GS lists using 3 different twist ranges (or bullet length selection) for short range, out to 500 yards, and then past 500 yards. It is almost as if the 500 yard point is some sort of transition challenge that isn't a problem for shorter or longer range use.

The 8 1/2' X 11" target paper was, due to the way things were, about 3/4" from the card board where a bullet struck. Guess what, the hole in the cardboard couldn't be seen by looking through the hole in the target paper. Not even when the target paper was pressed against the cardboard.

The cardboard penetration was a full caliber offset from the paper hole. That's one heck of an angle for the bullet to be traveling.:rolleyes:

Do these bullets have even the slightest physical resemblance to a boomerang?

Do you think that the bullet is coming apart, or just that the bullet flight angle is wrong ?

The reason I ask, is that there are some interesting articles and information within the GS Custom web site about the twist, SG, etc for different distance use.

I am sure that you already know this, but if a bullet is being spun very fast, then it will tend to maintain its angle through the flight, regardless of where it is in the path and drop curve. This assumes that the flight is stable of course.

Which CEB did you buy - the MTH ?

In the GS line, maybe the 270130HV191 would work. The 120 grain version is too stable past 500 yards according to the web site. It is interesting that GS lists using 3 different twist ranges (or bullet length selection) for short range, out to 500 yards, and then past 500 yards. It is almost as if the 500 yard point is some sort of transition challenge that isn't a problem for shorter or longer range use.

My guess is they are coming apart. I had a tri twister in my 30" 300 RUM. When I launched a 180 SST at over 3450', they vaporized...........Rich

Doctor........wait............I think I'm getting a pulse.

Goodnight nurse Johnson........you're right! This thread has come back to life!

This is disappointing as I have that exact barrel being chambered in a 270 Sherman as we speak. Are you thinking the problem is the speed you are shooting or the bullet? I was hoping to shoot the 165 matrix exclusively in this rifle. I was going to order a few hundred today but now it sounds like I should see if anyone will part with some for a reasonable price so I can test before dropping the money on a large order.

I don't think you'll have a problem. I am/was pushing them @3500.

At 270 WSM velocities I don't think they can be beat.

I have nearly a full box of 'em if you'd like to trade something.

I'll make you a trade for 150 Nosler Ballistic tips. I'm pretty easy on the trade thing.:)

I've been advised that a dose of hexagonal boron nitride will solve my problem.

I'll post some pictures that I bet none of you will believe.

With 169.5 Wildcats at either 1100 or 1200 yards I couldn't hit a broad sided of a barn.

While at 900 yards shot well under MOA.

I couldn't hit the gong at 1200 and moved it to 1000. Still couldn't hit it.

The belting holding the gong caught a bullet that I didn't discovered when I brought the set up back to the house. Thus I don't know which range it was shot at.

Bottom line is that the belting caught the bullet with its point only contacting the other belting strap.

The bullet was at steep angle pointed up and was not deformed in the slightest.

That's when I sent off the remaining 169.5s.

Pics forthcoming.....

OK, here's the skinny......:D

Note: THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A SLAM IN ANY WAY TO ANY BULLET MANUFACTURER. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE BORE ON THIS RIG, EVEN WHEN NEW WAS HARD ON JACKETS. NOW THAT ITS WELL WORN I DOUBT THERE'S A JACKET THAT WILL LIVE THROUGH THE BARREL.

Just tho't I'd make that point.

I did the bore polish thing as recommended by bigngreen.

'bout wore out my elbow.

The Matrix 165s again returned to their good performance.

However, with the previous barrel and the Tubbs Final Finish process return to bullet performance lasted only 10 rounds.

Enter Cutting Edge 140s

Sweet looking things to say the least.

Super easy to set up to load. Set a bullet into a fired case with the seal tight ring resting on the case mouth, set the seating die to that length and yur ready to go.

I wondered if that method would be satisfactory with my now excessively long throat?

During testing I seated the bullets out the additional 0.200" necessary to touch what ever it is they were going to touch. This had zero effect on either velocity or group size. Talk about leeway.:)

Here's the chg wt/velocity data (Note using US-869 in this cartridge large ESs are expected. :roll eyes:

Oh, and due to expense of this effort 2 shot groups only were fired.

All shots at 300 yards

US-869 Velocity "Pair" size:)
98 3481
3423 1.3 MOA vertial "|"

97 3445
3450 1.3 MOA less vertical "/"

97-long seat 3447
3418 1.2 MOA same "/"

96 3441
3421 1.0 MOA Horizontal "/"

95 3423
3418 1.5 MOA Slanted "--_"

93 3382
3367 0.36 MOA

93.5 3445
3394 0.33 MOA

I'll move on to check drops out to 900 or so and leave things at that...

The only other observation regarding these bullets is that there are very very fine machine marks which I thought may well lead to a bit of copper fouling. In this rough barrel it would be difficult to notice the difference.

In the new Pac Nor 375 barrel they copper foul noticeably more than SMKs. (The way they shoot is well worth it......in the big girl...:))

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.