.264 win mag handloading

Retumbo is hard to come by right now. I would try IMR 8133 next or H1000.

If I had a 1:9T 264 win mag again I'd start with retumbo (if I could freaking find some) and a 130 gr accubond. Haven't looked at .264 bullets for a while, but would probably looking for the highest bc hunting bullet that would fly in the 9T.

Joe , how long you've been reloading ,imr4064 is faster then rl/22 ! Do you have reloading manuals reason I ask powder burn chart rates are in them ,how did your reloads shot this morning ? Thanks

Joe , how long you've been reloading ,imr4064 is faster then rl/22 ! Do you have reloading manuals reason I ask powder burn chart rates are in them ,how did your reloads shot this morning ? Thanks
Very new to reloading . Honestly infant stage lol . I am getting two pound of the three of retumbo .. need some ?

As for the shooting this morning .. best group .. imr 52 gr 140 nosler partition .. shot 1.25 inch @100 .. I need better than that .. off of a lead sled

Ok thks !retumbo is good powder , good onyou ! Nosler shows it's best loads in their manuals , respectfully reading is your best friend , have any reloading friends , how'd did your RL/22 reloads shoot ? I've burned many pounds of Of Alliants Reloader 22 it's Great powder and I'm a big fan thks ,40 yrs reloading here . Cheers

Ok , there's a learning curve to everthing did you have weight in yur lead sled ? My # 4 nosler says your one grain over max on your two different reloads thks

Back in the dark ages before RL26 or Retumbo I used ALOT of RL22 in the .264 with a 9 twist and 120, 125, and 130 grain bullets. I had found that at the time the load data for the .264 was pretty weak across all the manuals. I got great velocity and spectacular accuracy with RL22. I shot it at 85 degrees in the summer and -25 degrees chasing fox and coyotes in the winter and never had any over pressure or accuracy issues. I was never able to get either of my.264s to shoot the 140s very well. That could be because back then I was a bit of a speed freak and anything not going 3200FPS caused me to yawn and nap. Maybe my subconscious kept pushing those groups open. If you have the time and are open to a bullet other than the 140 NP the 125 partition, 130 Scirocco, and 130 Accubond are great options with RL22 in the ol' Win mag.

I just loaded for a buddies. Retumbo and fed 215 was the best. 3080 with a 143. I ended up around 67-68 grains. .010 off the lands.
My daughter shoots a 264 in a model 70. Loaded a Hornady 143 ELD-X over 59 grs of H4831 sc. Fed 215 primer. Didn't get a chance to chrony this load but it is a bug shooter. Also this rifle has the advantage of having the BOSS so was able to fine tune it. Didn't have to though it just worked. First group was a 3 shot group that was a hole and a half. I said I believe that's good enough. LOL Not sure if that bullet would be the best choice on elk. My verdict is not in yet. Have only shot deer and antelope so far. Not enough to have a solid opinion. We all know the Barnes TTS would be a good choice, I just haven't loaded any yet. Didn't have any when I built this load.

Retumbo, IMR 8133 and RL 33 are three powders I see a lot of folks using with the 140 class of bullets.
My personal loads are with RL 33 and the 142 Nosler AB LR. Winchester cases and Rem 9 1/2 primers.

I love my 264 Win mag. But just to show you no two rifles are the same so watch your load work up. Mine is a Rem. 700 action with a Shilen #4 chrome molly barrel 27 3/4" long with a 1 n 9 twist. I got it in a trade with my buddy that had it built and it had less than 30 factory Winchester rounds through it at the time. I did not want to burn the barrel out trying to find a hand load so after a lot of thought this is what I decided on. Since my main usage would be on white tail deer over bean fields where I would be apt to get a shot at 25 yards to over 500 yards I chose the 130 gr Nosler Accubond because I was sure that it would fly out of the 9 twist. This rifle did shoot the Winchester factory 140s sub MOA. I also chose Retumbo powder because of the velocity potential as well as the good temp stability. Because I had a bunch of them I chose to make my cases out of Winchester 7mm Rem. mag cases by just running them in the FL 264 Mag size die. I started out using Fed 215 primers but ended up with CCI 250s because they were just a hair bit more accurate with my chosen load. The load is where the BIG DIFFERENCE between rifles came in. My rifle has a custom chambered barrel and the chamber is on the minimum of specks. 67 grs Retumbo gave me ejector marks and a slightly stiff bolt lift. I dropped back to 66.5 grs and everything was happy. My load of 66.5 grs Retumbo in the WW case, with CCI 250 and 130 AB and COAL 3.450 which is 20 thousands off the lands shoots 1/2 MOA on average. I am getting 3350 fps average @ 70* temp. This AB bullet is AWESOME. I have lost count how many deer I have taken with it, 25+, from around 25 to a touch over 500 yards and all have been DRT. Bullet reacts the same close in as far away. Goes in expands but holds together and takes out the vitals with authority and exits about a quarter size hole. I shot one buck at 111 yards almost facing me with a left shoulder angled at me. Bullet entered front edge of scapula traveled the length of the buck and was found against the smashed ball socket in the right ham upon processing. This is the ONLY bullet I have recovered. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 71 grs. That bullet had to still be going over 3100 fps on impact at that range. I would not hesitate to shoot a elk with this load. My buddy used the 125 Nosler Partition to kill a number of elk with his M-70 Win in 264 win mag.

Ok , there's a learning curve to everthing did you have weight in yur lead sled ? My # 4 nosler says your one grain over max on your two different reloads thks
I did have the two Caldwell bags full of sand .. I saw I was a gr over on load .. the scope used is a Swarovski z-3 4-12 brx .. leup rings and bases 1/8 above barrel .

Recent Posts