260 re barrel Which bullet?

chain

I am having a mauser action re barreled to a 260 rem. Gunsmith wants some brass and bullets to set it up. Which bullet is the question? I will be mainly shooting paper and deer with it. It might go west with me. I do have the 300 win for the bigger stuff. Thanks

For paper I would go with a 142 gr Wildcat or 142 gr SMK or 140 gr Berger for long range shooting.

For deer, I have used the 120 gr Ballistic Tip and it works great. YOu may want to try the new 130 gr Accubond as well. Could be a great bullet if it shoots well.

To make sure I would use a 1-8 twist. More then needed but in this case you will never over stress the lighter bullets so you will not loose any accuracy with this twist rate.

Just what I like in the 6.5mm.

Kirby Allen(50)

chain, I have 2 rifles in 6.5mm and have shot 140gr SMKs, 140gr Amaxes, 140gr SSTs, and 130gr Sciroccos.

The SSTs and Sciroccos were very impressive on whitetails with most dropping in their tracks, however they weren't all that great on paper, under 1 moa @ 100 but definetly not shooting in the .2s or .3s.

The SMKs and Amaxs will shoot in the .2s and .3s but I didn't care for how the SMKs performed on deer (2, that was enough) they killed both but I had to track them 100-200 yds with very little blood. Haven't had a chance to try the Amax on deer but have heard good things about them as long as you don't try to drive them from butthole to breastbone.

I do have test loads to try for both rifles with the 130 gr Accubond and am hoping for a little better accuracy than the SST/Scirocco with a little tougher bullet than the SMK/Amax.... we'll see.

Chris

Chian

I shoot a 123 Lapua (great on paper, don't know about meat) and a 120 BalTip. The Balistic Tip is a very accurate bullet to 700 yards and kills coyotes like lightning.

260 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.