260 for cow hunt?

azdesertrat

i know theres already a handfull of threads on using a 6.5 most all pertaining to bulls in general. but id be taking my 260 rem on a cow calf spike hunt and have no dought that as long as i keep it 500 or under and dont take marginal shots it will do the trick my question is what would be my best bet for a bullet in 140gr (would like to work up the round over the summer) i mostly load sgk's was thinking maybe burgers or should i stick to a solid?

Assuming your rifle has a 1-8" twist I would recommend our 124g Hammer Hunter. This bullet should run about 2950fps and have effective vel out to 700y. I calced this at 1000' elev. Higher elev would extend this a bit. Our bullet is a pure copper bullet and will have no trouble with quartering shots on the big animals. It will retain 70% and have no trouble with heavy bone. I still prefer broadside pump house shots but we all know that does not always happen. Zeroed for max point blank range your 260 would be able to kill elk out to 365y with no hold adjustment. If you are at 5000' elev or higher your max range will extend about 100y and still maintain 1800fps impact vel.

This would be my choice.

Steve

The Game King is an excellent bullet and will work just fine but like rick said the Berger 140 vld is where it's at. The Berger has much better ballistic performance especially if you get that shot at 500 yards.

az, I've seen cows taken with a lot less here in Az. The Berger 140 with decent shot placement will do the deed. Good luck

yea i had been avoiding burger because of the meat damage it can do but it might just be the best bet in this case.
yea dont get me wrong i love the sgks they work realy well at my speed its just that slightly lower bc that gets me.
those hammers seem like a good bullet but i have a hard time dropping that kinda money on a bullet without being able to test em out, ever think about selling a low count "test pack"? id have an easier time buying higher end bullets if i could run just acouple threw to see how the gun likes em.
oh i know dosh way back when my great grandpa was a trapper and only ever carried a 22mag pistol and regularly killed elk and bear with it, as long as it makes a hole it'll kill em

yea i had been avoiding burger because of the meat damage it can do but it might just be the best bet in this case.
yea dont get me wrong i love the sgks they work realy well at my speed its just that slightly lower bc that gets me.
those hammers seem like a good bullet but i have a hard time dropping that kinda money on a bullet without being able to test em out, ever think about selling a low count "test pack"? id have an easier time buying higher end bullets if i could run just acouple threw to see how the gun likes em.
oh i know dosh way back when my great grandpa was a trapper and only ever carried a 22mag pistol and regularly killed elk and bear with it, as long as it makes a hole it'll kill em

I'll go one better. If you buy a box and they do not shoot well enough for you, we will buy back what is left at the full value of the box. In other words satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.

Steve

I've shot a lot of elk and other game with Bergers because of how well they do on meat, when used properly they open just inside the animal and then shred the vitals and exit with a good hole that tends not to be blood shot because it can bleed out. Meat loss is the reason I won't shoot tipped bullets, they simply cause too much meat damage compared to open tip bullets.

The Hammers shoot well and are the least temperamental bullet I've shot, definitely a good bullet.

yea but with improper placement they decimate meat my uncle shot his wt last year through the shoulders with one and both front quarters were trash and i avoid them for bear heard stories of them fragmenting before the vitals due to a thick layer of fat but might be preferable for elk with a smaller caliber like my 260 although i am thinking pretty hard about trying those hammers

being pure copper will it still expand at my lower speeds at range?

We advertise 1800fps as a min for hunting. This vel is not chosen because the bullet will not open at lower vel, but because we feel that 1800fps is a good minimum vel to cause good terminal damage as it passes through soft tissue. If you as a hunter want to shoot game at lower vel you can do that. I can look back in the records and find the lowest vel that we have tested the bullet to and you are more than welcome to test them down to the vel that you would like to see. When we test we work our testing vel down to 1800fps and as soon as we see full bullet deformation below that threshold we stop. We do not try and see what the lowest it will go is.

So I guess this is the only place that we inflict our opinion, that doesn't mean you have to listen to us. :)

Steve

thanks for answering all my questions and pm's steve enogh cant be said for customer service like that. ordered a box of the 124 hammer hunters and for the record i was asking about preformance at lower speeds for deer not elk wont pass 500 for elk

thanks for answering all my questions and pm's steve enogh cant be said for customer service like that. ordered a box of the 124 hammer hunters and for the record i was asking about preformance at lower speeds for deer not elk wont pass 500 for elk

Just saw the order. Should have them out tomorrow worst case Friday. I look forward to your results and by all means let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.