25x280AI would it work?

DUCKMAN11

Would a 25x280AI reamer clean up a standard 25-06 chamber? I know the 280ai is longer than a 25-06AI....but is it long enough?

I was/am building a 25-06AI all I'm lacking is a reamer. So now it's getting down to the nitty-gritty. I was looking at West Texas ordinance and their switch lug barrel clamp device and stumbled upon "their" 6.5x280AI. Seems pretty simple to buy 280ai brass and neck it down to 6.5mm with bushings in a 280ai FL die. I would assume that it could be run down to 257cal with just another step.

Am I missing something in the math?

Has anyone ever done a 25x280AI?

I'm trying to get away from fire forming for no other reason than components and barrel life are a factor to me. I could re cut a standard factory 25-06 barrel I already have and use it as a fire forming barrel then chamber my 7.5tw barrel with the same reamer.

I'm just spit balling so any experience would be helpful.

I am building a 25-280 Ackley, but it is a new build.

I have already ordered the reamer from Manson.

I am curious about the answers to your questions. I would think that after looking at the drawings it would clean up the chamber, my only concern would be the twist of the original barrel.
Mine is a new build also. I haven't cut a chamber yet.

The stock factory barrel I have is a 22" 10tw chambered in 25-06. So I'm almost positive a 25x280AI would clean up that chamber for sure. But I wouldn't need to have an actual "fire forming" barrel if I could simply neck down 280ai....right?

I have lapua 30-06 brass for this project but that could easily be sold or traded depending on which direction I go. It just seems like going with the 280ai parent case would just be easier than fire forming 270 or 30-06 into 25-06AI. Not to mention get a little more case volume.

Either way you go, if you shoot your brass 3 times before bumping shoulders, fire forming doesn't really matter. A lot of people get worked up about using components and or barrel life. If this is a new build, your going to need to shoot it anyway to get your barrel seasoned and sped up. Get some quality brass to start with, keep your fire forming load 50-55000psi and go to town. Your fire forming loads will surprise you how well they can shoot. A correct AI chamber you shouldn't have to jam bullets, but I do anyway just to make sure there is no brass movement. Working on a 7-08AI right now that shoots .5moa with the fireforming load banging away steel out to a 1000.

My 6.5x280AI (which I bought from Darryle on here) I'm using 280AI Peterson brass and a 2 step process to drop the caliber size down. That brass still has to form to your chamber so it really doesn't matter if your using AI brass to start with anyway.

Lots of good 270 and 30-06 brass out there, 280AI is hard to find quality right now. Good luck and enjoy, that thing should make for fine quarter bore!

I have some 135's and I'm really interested in the 128 hammers. Berger chart says I can stabilize 135's with the 7.5tw at my elevation of 800-1,200ft. I hope/think I have enough twist with +3,000fps. 26" finished length light Palma contour bartlein.

I bought the barrel in early 2018 and vacuum sealed it and was planning on just doing a standard 25-06 with a fast twist for the 131bj......well I couldn't ever get any of the 131s because I refuse to use Facespace so the project stopped there....then BJ died.....then Berger came out with the 133 and 135's and here we are lol

I believe that Hammer is building heaver bullets for the .257 caliber also. The other is I am seeing that the 280AI case as the parent case is coming up more and more. You'll need to do some stepping to size the neck down to .257 from .284. In my 6mm it takes 4 steppes. If I recall Nosler us building 280AI cases also. If you thin the case necks. Do that first before sizing. Back up one. Trim the cases to length the very first thing, then cut the neck for thickness. No donuts that way.

I believe that Hammer is building heaver bullets for the .257 caliber also. The other is I am seeing that the 280AI case as the parent case is coming up more and more. You'll need to do some stepping to size the neck down to .257 from .284. In my 6mm it takes 4 steppes. If I recall Nosler us building 280AI cases also. If you thin the case necks. Do that first before sizing. Back up one. Trim the cases to length the very first thing, then cut the neck for thickness. No donuts that way. I think that more companies are going to come out with 280AI Cases.

Would a 25x280AI reamer clean up a standard 25-06 chamber? I know the 280ai is longer than a 25-06AI....but is it long enough?
I was wondering and it will clean up

E2BAB766-26C6-44EC-8D48-D6BB4C08C31C.jpeg

See attached for a .257 x 280AI cartridge built. A 284 is a different base size. Just use 280AI cases and neck down. This detail is base off of a Sierra Manual copy, and adjusted to a different neck thickness, because I cut all my necks to .013" thickness regardless of chamber neck OD. Standard neck in a 280 is .315 OD. Peterson and Nosler build brass for the 280AI Case. My feeling is all the other manufactures are going to make 280AI brass here shortly. Special note look at the length to the shoulder in the different cases. The 280AI leaves them all behind. More powder to push with heaver bullets.

Attachments

• .257-280 Ackley Improved-.pdf
    249.4 KB · Views: 94