257 Weatherby Reloading Boo Boo

That actually was the first box, second two were Hornady
Interesting, you think because it's Hornady bullets they used Hornady made brass too? What is the weight of your cases? Don't remember if you stated what the weight was just that the new ones are 20g heavier?

Worked up a sweet handload though....Fed215GM primers, 100 grain TTSX and 71 grains of IMR 7828 shoots awesome! and then found out the second can was empty. No 7828 locally so went to 71 grains of RL-22, same hole!
Great awesome!!
Interesting, you think because it's Hornady bullets they used Hornady made brass too? What is the weight of your cases? Don't remember if you stated what the weight was just that the new ones are 20g heavier?
I'm not original posting person I was relaying to double dropper and others my personal experiences with my two Tribb 257 rifles and what I learned from weatherby. Got a message for Jacob at weatherby to call me. I'll share what he tells me when he does! I'll weigh my cases from older and new box's and share what that reveals Tribb

Found the boxes, All ammo (60 rounds total) is factory Weatherby "Select" Black and Silver boxes. The first 2 boxes of 40 rounds were 100 grain Norma Spitzers. they all weighed around 208 - 210 grains empty. The last box of Weatherby ammo was 100 grain Hornady Interlocks, these 20 rounds of brass weighed 227- 231 grains empty. Empty with no primers.

Found the boxes, All ammo (60 rounds total) is factory Weatherby "Select" Black and Silver boxes. The first 2 boxes of 40 rounds were 100 grain Norma Spitzers. they all weighed around 208 - 210 grains empty. The last box of Weatherby ammo was 100 grain Hornady Interlocks, these 20 rounds of brass weighed 227- 231 grains empty. Empty with no primers.
interesting

Temperature had nothing to do with this lesson. The internal capacity of the brass, hence affecting loading pressure was the mistake I made. NOTE: if you change any component....start over with loading basics.
I have been reloading for 58 years now. I started weighting brass in the 80's. Extreme Velocity Spread rates RL-22 at 75. H4350 is 4. So don't pay attention to the temeratures. When you are loading hot rounds, you have to pay attention to everything.

Have you gotten a water weight of the brass and compared the first 2 boxes of 40 with the last box of 20 ?

Water weight, no desire. Just bagged them, (its interesting they weigh about the same as Hornady brass LOL) anyways bought 2 more boxes yesterday of factory Weatherby 100 grain Normas, pulled the bullets and weighed the new 40 rounds, success! They all weighed pretty consistently between a 4 grain variance and did not weigh like the odd batch.

Water weight, no desire. Just bagged them, (its interesting they weigh about the same as Hornady brass LOL) anyways bought 2 more boxes yesterday of factory Weatherby 100 grain Normas, pulled the bullets and weighed the new 40 rounds, success! They all weighed pretty consistently between a 4 grain variance and did not weigh like the odd batch.
Good it all worked out for you. I was just wonderin' why there would be that discrepancy in the weight of the brass. Has me thinkin' maybe some mfg. marketing genius thought that heaver walled brass would cut case capacity , requiring less powder to attain the advertised velocity of the 257 Wby. There by making the mfg. cost cheaper.

Good it all worked out for you. I was just wonderin' why there would be that discrepancy in the weight of the brass. Has me thinkin' maybe some mfg. marketing genius thought that heaver walled brass would cut case capacity , requiring less powder to attain the advertised velocity of the 257 Wby. There by making the mfg. cost cheaper.
Potentially that is possible, but then purchased 40 rounds yesterday and back to about 210-214 grains per casing. Heavy ones were 230+ same as Hornady and resized 7mm Rem Mag Remington Brand cases (experiment)
I put all the heavy one in a bag and tossed them in the piles of random brass ( marked up of course) I have almost 80 rounds of Weatherby Brass weighing pretty consistent. 80 rounds should do for a bit

Potentially that is possible, but then purchased 40 rounds yesterday and back to about 210-214 grains per casing. Heavy ones were 230+ same as Hornady and resized 7mm Rem Mag Remington Brand cases (experiment)
I put all the heavy one in a bag and tossed them in the piles of random brass ( marked up of course) I have almost 80 rounds of Weatherby Brass weighing pretty consistent. 80 rounds should do for a bit
I can fathom why you are doing that. In my bored internet travels, I looked for 257 Wby brass. I would label it non-existent at this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.