257 Weatherby Reloading Boo Boo

Been loading for my new 257, has been very frustrating. I am always very meticulous with respect to documentation and weighing charges, brass prep etc. Had 40 rounds of brass, weighed, trimmed cleaned etc. all within 2 grains. was working up a load and picked up a box of Weatherby 100 grain factory ammo. I should clarify, all Weatherby brass, all pulled factory bullets so as new. 60 rounds total, 40 original and just picked up an additional 20. Cleaned trimmed and loaded with the same load. But......never weighed the latest 20 rounds. I loaded them up with the same load, Fed 215GM primer 71 grains of IMR 7828 COAL 3.195 and they were all over the place! I was inspecting each piece and got a hard bolt open...should have been a sign. Then blew a primer. I stopped, pulled all the bullets, weighed the powder charges, all perfect, double checked the length, all same..... I load for 25-06, 30-06, 35 Whelen, 300Win Mag, 300 RUM, etc, what gives. Then weighed the brass. The new 20 rounds I pulled weighed 20 grains more!!! That just might affect the internal capacity.
Lets clarify:
Did you reuse the pulled factory bullets ? What bullets were they ?

I take it you pushed the live factory primers out before cleaning and trimming the brass ?

The cartridges you weighed , these were empty cartridges, Yes ,?

DD, perhaps a good practice to load same lot brass. Weatherby and Norma brass have been quite consistent for my .257's. Working up from middle charge of powder is advised by most specs. A temp stable powder could help as well, it's understandable several of the more popular powders are a bit difficult to find. Didn't understand which bullet you were loading. Pulled or other?

Last edited:
Have only blown one primer so far.
I hand loaded 100 rounds for my 25-06 using RE22 in the winter for a hunt later in the year to a very arid part of Australia.
Very first shot at a hog resulted in a locked up bolt, which had to be pounded open, the case head was swollen and the primer was no where to be seen.
Learnt a valuable lesson that day, don't work up loads in winter for summer hunting...bad juju can only be the outcome.

Cheers.
That why I stop reloading with IMR Powders. I had the same problem with my 308 Norma Mag in the early 2000's. Moved to H4350 and never looked back. I lost a little velocity, but that more than alright. This attach file is from Hodgdon that I got other day. I wish there was more on other powders, but it's better than nothing. With a little luck somebody else has somore info in temperature and it's effect on powders.

Attachments

• EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 159
Been loading for my new 257, has been very frustrating. I am always very meticulous with respect to documentation and weighing charges, brass prep etc. Had 40 rounds of brass, weighed, trimmed cleaned etc. all within 2 grains. was working up a load and picked up a box of Weatherby 100 grain factory ammo. I should clarify, all Weatherby brass, all pulled factory bullets so as new. 60 rounds total, 40 original and just picked up an additional 20. Cleaned trimmed and loaded with the same load. But......never weighed the latest 20 rounds. I loaded them up with the same load, Fed 215GM primer 71 grains of IMR 7828 COAL 3.195 and they were all over the place! I was inspecting each piece and got a hard bolt open...should have been a sign. Then blew a primer. I stopped, pulled all the bullets, weighed the powder charges, all perfect, double checked the length, all same..... I load for 25-06, 30-06, 35 Whelen, 300Win Mag, 300 RUM, etc, what gives. Then weighed the brass. The new 20 rounds I pulled weighed 20 grains more!!! That just might affect the internal capacity.
Is this a weatherby factory chambered rifle or is it another brand with shorter throat?

I'll need to check my two boxes of weatherby brass I recently bought against the ones I've been sitting. I have 71g rl22 loaded up with 100g barnes ttsx and thought they shot fine when I developed that load. Shooting them now and the bolt is sticky and they are a bit too hot.

I'll need to check my two boxes of weatherby brass I recently bought against the ones I've been sitting. I have 71g rl22 loaded up with 100g barnes ttsx and thought they shot fine when I developed that load. Shooting them now and the bolt is sticky and they are a bit too hot.
I talked a way to be back in July maybe it was early August I don't remember for sure about some powder in the ttsx ammo for the 270 Weatherby powder seem to be really really dirty burning I was concerned and the most I help I got was out of some lady that I talked to was at well we've been loading ammo in the house for 2 years now maybe they're not using the original manufacturer of their brass Norma! Amaybe they're using someone else's like Hornady who knows??

I talked a way to be back in July maybe it was early August I don't remember for sure about some powder in the ttsx ammo for the 270 Weatherby powder seem to be really really dirty burning I was concerned and the most I help I got was out of some lady that I talked to was at well we've been loading ammo in the house for 2 years now maybe they're not using the original manufacturer of their brass Norma! Amaybe they're using someone else's like Hornady who knows??
p.s. my southern drawl and the spell check does not sometimes work really well together Tribb

Ok, some clarification. Stock Weatherby Vanguard 26" pipe. No modifications. Bought 2 boxes of factory loaded ammo, shot a few, pulled the balance, resized, measured length, weighed, cleaned, trimmed, and re-primed with new Fed 215 GM primers. Bullet chosen was the 110 grain Nosler Accubond. Worked up a safe load, it was shooting well. Decided I needed 20 more brass, its cheaper to purchase loaded ammo than buy brass. Same ammo, brought them home, pulled bullets, dumped powder, resized, cleaned trimmed, you get it. Just did not weigh the brass. All appeared the same, it was not, that is the lesson.

That why I stop reloading with IMR Powders. I had the same problem with my 308 Norma Mag in the early 2000's. Moved to H4350 and never looked back. I lost a little velocity, but that more than alright. This attach file is from Hodgdon that I got other day. I wish there was more on other powders, but it's better than nothing. With a little luck somebody else has somore info in temperature and it's effect on powders.
Temperature had nothing to do with this lesson. The internal capacity of the brass, hence affecting loading pressure was the mistake I made. NOTE: if you change any component....start over with loading basics.

Lets clarify:
Did you reuse the pulled factory bullets ? What bullets were they ?

I take it you pushed the live factory primers out before cleaning and trimming the brass ?

The cartridges you weighed , these were empty cartridges, Yes ,?
Factory bullets discarded
Factory primers were discarded
Cartridges weighed..yes they were empty.

Checked my two boxes of new brass and they are the same as the previous 3 boxes of loaded ammo I bought when I got the rifle a few years ago(cheapest way to get cases, as you stated). 208-210 grains for the fired, sized and trimmed vs the new cases in box. Same weight range. I like the cartridge holders that came in the empty cases boxes, they have a nice bullet shield and cases click in to them.

Ok, some clarification. Stock Weatherby Vanguard 26" pipe. No modifications. Bought 2 boxes of factory loaded ammo, shot a few, pulled the balance, resized, measured length, weighed, cleaned, trimmed, and re-primed with new Fed 215 GM primers. Bullet chosen was the 110 grain Nosler Accubond. Worked up a safe load, it was shooting well. Decided I needed 20 more brass, its cheaper to purchase loaded ammo than buy brass. Same ammo, brought them home, pulled bullets, dumped powder, resized, cleaned trimmed, you get it. Just did not weigh the brass. All appeared the same, it was not, that is the lesson.
who made brass you did not weigh and have you weighed them yet? If so how much difference in wt?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.