257 weatherby 75 grain hammer findings

Calvin45

I went fast.

Got to test my load workup out at my dads place in the country (good to catch up with dad over a few cups of coffee, a good day all around).

Having fiddled around with rl 17, h380, h4350, h4831sc, imr 7828 ssc, and hodgdon SUPERFORMANCE, im settling on rl17 as the best powder I have for the 75 grain hammer hunter in my 24 inch stainless barrelled .257 weatherby magnum, vanguard. H4350 did almost as well but not quite the velocity before pressure AND I have less of it on hand and my .358 Norma has dibs on the rest of it 🤣

I fired only two shots at each charge weight as all these components are very expensive
For me AND .257 wby barrels and needlessly high round counts during load development is just a foolish combo haha.

Also included some bullets I pulled out of the snowbank I shot into (yes, there are still big snowbanks here but they're melting finally) - 75 hammers and a picture perfect "Barnes flower" as well from a 100 tsx and as well a 75 x out of a 243. No conclusions about how performance from these, it's JUST A PICTURE 😁. A snowbank isn't a ballistic proxy for, well, anything else.

Weatherby brass, hammer 75 grain hunter treated with hex boron nitride (as is the bore of my rifle), rl17, "dominion" brand standard rifle primers (not magnum), lee factory crimped on the top groove.

68 grains

3879 and 3871 fps. Mild. Sooty on neck.

69 grains.

3937 and 3941 fps. Still zero signs and necks a bit dirty

70 grains

4016 and 4018 fps - only two shots, but holy smokes that's the same thing. No pressure signs AND squeaky clean necks, full obturation. Much promise at this node.

71 grains 

4055 and 4048 fps - still moving up in velocity nice and predictably though it's notable now that the increases are getting a tad less

72 grains

4110 and 4093 - VERY slight cratering around firing pin indent, no pancaking of primer edges, no ejector swipe, no stiff bolt or anything else

72.7 grains

4172 and 4169 - again a sampling of two but that's still very promising and worth looking into when it comes time to test for accuracy

73.4 grains

4217 and 4166 fps. Crazy big difference between those. Slightly stiff bolt, pancaking, cratering, shiny spot on case head. Along with that velocity erratic behaviour that's all clearly saying "pressure" - went up one more like a bone head anyway

74.1 grains

4271 and 4277 fps. Stiff bolt. Very flat primer. Very pronounced ejector swipe. Back off man!!!!

Didn't really test accuracy out, my process is to find the points in the workup that look promising and then develop further. Though these all did kind of shoot to the same point of impact anyways so that's nice. Intrigued about 70 and 72.7 (probably split between that and 72, so 72.4 grains). Both North of 4000 fps so I'm a happy camper.

Just sharing my experienc and some data points for referencing. Everyone is responsible for their own safety and equipment, this is not advice haha.

Attachments

• 562119D6-37BE-435A-8D12-23985FD5F23C.jpeg
    562119D6-37BE-435A-8D12-23985FD5F23C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
@Muddyboots @GLTaylor @Blackdirt Cowboy @ButterBean @snox801 @scope-eye @RockyMtnMT @Hand Skills @Gingerman tagged you fellas specifically here as I knew you either asked to know how this went for me or directly contributed to my learning in pursuing this kind of performance. I had actually hoped to go even faster but do realize this is a 24 inch barrel and even with hbn, hammer grooves, and rl17 physics are physics and this is still PRETTY DANG GOOD!!!!

Accuracy report later once I do up more loads. With the 70 and 72.7 range to see.

Gl Taylor feel free to incorporate this user-generated data into your database if you wish

I'd like to think that somewhere up there Roy Weatherby is smiling…

Last edited:
The two charges you re planning to try are right close to 3% difference. If you believe in the OCW theory, even a little, then if the accuracy s not there might try one group around 71.3-71.5 grs …? Just a thought. Good luck with your testing.

The two charges you re planning to try are right close to 3% difference. If you believe in the OCW theory, even a little, then if the accuracy s not there might try one group around 71.3-71.5 grs …? Just a thought. Good luck with your testing.
My brain ain't firing on all cylinders (forgot my dang earplugs and was shooting beside a building to echo back onto me. Perhaps concussed 🤪). What is OCW theory again?

Optimum Charge Weight (OCW)

Dan Newberry has a website that talks about it. Supposedly 3% changes between "nodes" and 1.5% from a bad node theoretically puts you back in a good node. There's low, medium and high nodes in theory. Some high nodes are not shootable as you can run into excessive pressure.

Dan Newberry has a website that talks about it. Supposedly 3% changes between "nodes" and 1.5% from a bad node theoretically puts you back in a good node. There's low, medium and high nodes in theory. Some high nodes are not shootable as you can run into excessive pressure.

Ah gotcha. I'm not sure I do subscribe to that theory but do understand the premise of barrel harmonics. I'll Bear it in mind. Just read up on that site…I do agreee that there are some loads that defy the "every gun is different" rule but don't know if harmonics and acoustic shockwaves is actually why. Not against the idea either, just not convinced at present. Can't argue with what works either way. For sure it's weird how well federal gold medal 168 shoots in dang near everything. Also for whatever reason 55 grainers with 37-38 gr of 4064 shoots good in literally every .220 swift I've heard of.

That theory donated jive with Hammers

I went fast.

Got to test my load workup out at my dads place in the country (good to catch up with dad over a few cups of coffee, a good day all around).

Having fiddled around with rl 17, h380, h4350, h4831sc, imr 7828 ssc, and hodgdon SUPERFORMANCE, im settling on rl17 as the best powder I have for the 75 grain hammer hunter in my 24 inch stainless barrelled .257 weatherby magnum, vanguard. H4350 did almost as well but not quite the velocity before pressure AND I have less of it on hand and my .358 Norma has dibs on the rest of it 🤣

I fired only two shots at each charge weight as all these components are very expensive
For me AND .257 wby barrels and needlessly high round counts during load development is just a foolish combo haha.

Also included some bullets I pulled out of the snowbank I shot into (yes, there are still big snowbanks here but they're melting finally) - 75 hammers and a picture perfect "Barnes flower" as well from a 100 tsx and as well a 75 x out of a 243. No conclusions about how performance from these, it's JUST A PICTURE 😁. A snowbank isn't a ballistic proxy for, well, anything else.

Weatherby brass, hammer 75 grain hunter treated with hex boron nitride (as is the bore of my rifle), rl17, "dominion" brand standard rifle primers (not magnum), lee factory crimped on the top groove.

68 grains

3879 and 3871 fps. Mild. Sooty on neck.

69 grains.

3937 and 3941 fps. Still zero signs and necks a bit dirty

70 grains

4016 and 4018 fps - only two shots, but holy smokes that's the same thing. No pressure signs AND squeaky clean necks, full obturation. Much promise at this node.

71 grains 

4055 and 4048 fps - still moving up in velocity nice and predictably though it's notable now that the increases are getting a tad less

72 grains

4110 and 4093 - VERY slight cratering around firing pin indent, no pancaking of primer edges, no ejector swipe, no stiff bolt or anything else

72.7 grains

4172 and 4169 - again a sampling of two but that's still very promising and worth looking into when it comes time to test for accuracy

73.4 grains

4217 and 4166 fps. Crazy big difference between those. Slightly stiff bolt, pancaking, cratering, shiny spot on case head. Along with that velocity erratic behaviour that's all clearly saying "pressure" - went up one more like a bone head anyway

74.1 grains

4271 and 4277 fps. Stiff bolt. Very flat primer. Very pronounced ejector swipe. Back off man!!!!

Didn't really test accuracy out, my process is to find the points in the workup that look promising and then develop further. Though these all did kind of shoot to the same point of impact anyways so that's nice. Intrigued about 70 and 72.7 (probably split between that and 72, so 72.4 grains). Both North of 4000 fps so I'm a happy camper.

Just sharing my experienc and some data points for referencing. Everyone is responsible for their own safety and equipment, this is not advice haha.
Absolutely Freaking Awesome

Absolutely Freaking Awesome
Thank you sir.

Was surprised to see rl17 actually wasn't able to beat h 4350 by much (though it still did - at 4277 4350 pierced a primer and locked the gun up - at that speed with 17 the bolt lift was stiff but still easily openable and the primer was intact)

Also weird - some data shows rl17 as being faster burning than 4350 but I actually fit a little more of it in there for equivalent velocity.

But again; as I'm learning, hammers play different AND…rl17 is a double base and a progressive burn rate on top of that like superformance or rl26 and nailing down a burn rate for those is tricky at best.

Last edited:
Great performance with RL17.
One word of caution if you care about barrel life, it eats throats very fast. When I built my 25 Pronghorn, RL17 wasn't available until a couple of years later. Played with several powders up until RL17 came out and found it to be perfect burn rate in the 300WSM case size…but, it cooked the throat in short order, not bad enough to replace the barrel, but definitely an eye opener. It eroded double time of other powders and was on par with Winchester Supreme 780, which didn't erode like RL17 did.
Just a heads up.

Cheers.

Great performance with RL17.
One word of caution if you care about barrel life, it eats throats very fast. When I built my 25 Pronghorn, RL17 wasn't available until a couple of years later. Played with several powders up until RL17 came out and found it to be perfect burn rate in the 300WSM case size…but, it cooked the throat in short order, not bad enough to replace the barrel, but definitely an eye opener. It eroded double time of other powders and was on par with Winchester Supreme 780, which didn't erode like RL17 did.
Just a heads up.

Cheers.
I've heard that. Will be interesting to see how much my treatment of the bore and bullets with HBN makes a difference. This rifle was used when I bought it…used .257 bees are always an interesting choice haha but seems to be just fine.

It is indeed a hunting rifle and once I get loads all figured it's not gonnna be used for any recreational shooting.

I still have 90 grain absolutes which even to look at them appear to be made for this cartridge. But I'm content to work with these for now and just hang on to those.

Also have good loads worked up with the 100 grain Barnes tsx and the 100 Nosler b tip.

Will need another barrel before I've exhausted my supply haha

I've heard that. Will be interesting to see how much my treatment of the bore and bullets with HBN makes a difference. This rifle was used when I bought it…used .257 bees are always an interesting choice haha but seems to be just fine.

It is indeed a hunting rifle and once I get loads all figured it's not gonnna be used for any recreational shooting.
Yep, it is a phenomenal cartridge. I picked up a secondhand Accumark in 257 Bee, it had only 60 shots through it and I've shot 20 myself.
Very accurate with heavier bullets than the previous owner was using, he thought 80-90g bullets were good choices…didn't shoot them very well so he sold it to me.
I use HBN, never noticed it helped with throat erosion but definitely lowers pressure, I use it in 264WM, 300WM and 338-416 Rigby Improved with remarkable results. I started with 338 and 375 pills for 1 mile shoots and then used the 264 and 300 for 1000m.
Hope it works out excellent for you.

Cheers.