257 STW Barrel

bjlooper

I'm planning a 257 STW and i'm trying to decide what length to make the barrel. I figure some where between 26" and 30". Does anyone know the velocity difference per inch for the 257 STW.
Thanks

I have built alot of 257 STW rifles with barrels ranging from 26 to 30". This round will loose quite a bit of velocity per inch of barrel length compared to most other chamberings. I have found it to be on average around these numbers.

100 gr bullets
26"..........3825 fps
28"..........3890 fps
30"..........3960 fps

130 gr bullet
26"..........3320 fps
28"..........3380 fps
30"..........3450 fps

These are average numbers but they been very similar over a wide selection of 257 STW rifles. Roughly speaking you will be looking at 30 to 35 fps per inch over 26" of barrel length.

Depending on the rifle weight you want, 28" is a very good compromise in barrel length and still allows a relatively light barrel contour if you want a walking big game rifle.

The barrels used in all of these rifles were Lilja 1-10 twist 3 groove stainless steel barrels. Other barrels may be slightly faster or slower.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver.
I'm going to go with a Avanced Barrel Systems carbon wraped barrel. I'm hopefully that the barrel will weigh under 3 Lbs.

If I remember correctly, they list the Lilja barrels for their 25 cal barrels used. Your numbers should be right in line with the ones I posted depending on barrel length.

Keep us posted.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.