257 Bee vs 6.5 rpm

Remington92

Hey folks wanted to pick y'alls brain. I'm after a new 500yd and in antelope/ mule deer gun. My current main hunting rifle is a 300wm Cooper timberline. I was fairly decided the new rig would be a weathermark lt in 257wby (2 of the guys I hunt with run vanguard 257s and the drop dead effect they have is incredible even compared to my 7mags and 300wm on muleys)

The LT 257 weighs In at 7.2lb which is similar to BDLs I grew up on but heavier than the Cooper.

Doing some reading however the new 6.5 rpm is really peaking my curiosity. 127gr at 3225 according to the box and because of the smaller mark V action she weighs in at 5.9lb in the weathermark LT. Basically looks like 264wm performance (always liked that round) in nice light package. I'd really be curious to see what hand loads would yield with say a 120 ballistic tip or 130AB.

Sorry for the long winded story but basically curious if anyone is having success with the rpm or smart to take on the extra weight and get the tried and true 257

Also glass will most likely be either a vx3i 4.5-14 cds zl or vx5 3-15

That's about where the main decision is. 264wm like performance in a trim 5.9lb package that's hopefully here to stay or 7.2lb classic in the 257.

Anyone way smarter than me have a ballpark at speed a 120 ballistic tip should come in it? If it would say crowd 3300 FPS that would be a sweet competitor against the factory 257 115 BT at 3400

Both should work very well. Pick your poison. I have shot 257 and love it. 6.5 rpm is interesting though. Get whichever rifle feels better to you. If the Vanguard is cheaper that may be a reason to go with it and drop more money on glass and ammo to practice.

Go with the 257 Weatherby. While some will tell you to go with a faster twist and the new 131 Blackjack I would suggest you use the 115 VLD Berger. It is very flat shooting.

My friends and I have a total of five 257 Roy semi customs. All have 3 groove lilja SS barrels. Two are #5 profile and three are #3 profile. A Pacific Tool and Gauge reamer was used with throat angle of 1.5 degrees, which is different than the original weatherby specs. Freebore was shortened as well. Two rifles use a .100" jump the other three use .070" jump to rifling. Most rifles are using RL-25 with moly coated 115 Berger VLDs, Norma brass and Fed 215 match primers. Work up to max load listed for 115 BT shown in Nosler loading manual #6 which is 72 grs. The Berger VLD with is minimal bearing surface can work with more powder than the BT. Add moly and you can go even higher.

Some of the rifles were able go past this amount to as high as 74 grs. The 74 gr loads were worked up in 85 degree temps.

These five rifles have accounted for 27 coues wt , 2 antelope and 7 elk. The combination of chambering and bullet is an amazing killer.

.257 Weatherby will have more factory ammo available for quite a while. Not sure how fast the 6.5RPM will take to catch up on supply.

500 and in, you could shoot a LOT less gun for pronghorn and mule deer. But dead is dead. They say speed kills. But above all else, shot PLACEMENT kills.

I had a .25-06AI pushing a 115 HVLD @ 3450fps for 12 years that killed a bunch of mule deer. Flat like a laser beam, and deadly from 80 to 488 for me on mulies. Now I have a 25SST pushing a 131 Blackjack @ 3225fps. I will hopefully let you know in a few weeks how it does on pronghorn.

I have had multiple fast 6.5s too. From a 130 Hyb to a 150 SMK, they kill like crazy too. Nothing shot real close, 183 to 637, but everything dropped where they stood. Should test them on another pronghorn again in a few weeks too.

Looking at the factory ammo offerings how well do the lrx perform on thin skinned antelope like critters? I know Barnes is famous for deep penetration and weight retention on heavy boned/ muscled game. I typically prefer the massive expansion and vital destruction vs poke 2 holes and keep running.

basically will antelope provide enough resistance to get good mushroom

Looking at the factory ammo offerings how well do the lrx perform on thin skinned antelope like critters? I know Barnes is famous for deep penetration and weight retention on heavy boned/ muscled game. I typically prefer the massive expansion and vital destruction vs poke 2 holes and keep running.

Not likely to get a good mushroom unless you hit and ruined a shoulder(s) but not needed for a pronghorn. The lrx or ttsx at weatherby speeds smash deer and lopes

The good thing is that Weatherby supports the cartridges they develop. 6.5 RPM probably wont set any sales records but I see it being around with components available for a good long while.

I would definitely go .257. The weight is perfect for a hunting rifle and there is just nothing better at beating wind to 500 yards and taking the air out of a goat or mule buck than a 110 Accubond at 34-3500 or a 100 grain TTSX at 3650. If you want a gun to jump up and do double duty as an elk rig the RPM will be great, but if you are gonna stay under 500 pounds you will not regret getting Roys .257. It is magic!

I am bias. I own several 257 WTBY rifles. I would say my favorite is my mark V ultralight it is like lightening when it hits deer or antelope. I have also killed a half dozen elk with it. I got a depredation tag for a cow elk I shot a big lead cow out of a herd of about 30 elk at 400 yards 115 grain barnes and she crumpled on the shot. Would my 257 be my primary elk gun no my primary is my 340 WTBY. I usually shoot 100 gr for deer and speed goats. I will eventually get a 6.5 RPM but it would have to be a hell of a round to get me to switch. Right now if I had to chose only one rifle caliber forever it would be 257 WTBY...

My Buddy Craig SWEARS by the Barnes LRX Outta his 280AI for Antelope (and Deer). He's been using that combo for YEARS for trips to Wyoming. I've seen firsthand how well the LRX works on Speed Goats 👍🏻

I would definitely go .257. The weight is perfect for a hunting rifle and there is just nothing better at beating wind to 500 yards and taking the air out of a goat or mule buck than a 110 Accubond at 34-3500 or a 100 grain TTSX at 3650. If you want a gun to jump up and do double duty as an elk rig the RPM will be great, but if you are gonna stay under 500 pounds you will not regret getting Roys .257. It is magic!

Put a second on 100gr tsx out of a 257 at 3600. Awesome on deer and antelope. Just wrecks them and sighted in at 300 you can hold on hair nearly to 500

I am bias. I own several 257 WTBY rifles. I would say my favorite is my mark V ultralight it is like lightening when it hits deer or antelope. I have also killed a half dozen elk with it. I got a depredation tag for a cow elk I shot a big lead cow out of a herd of about 30 elk at 400 yards 115 grain barnes and she crumpled on the shot. Would my 257 be my primary elk gun no my primary is my 340 WTBY. I usually shoot 100 gr for deer and speed goats. I will eventually get a 6.5 RPM but it would have to be a hell of a round to get me to switch. Right now if I had to chose only one rifle caliber forever it would be 257 WTBY...
100% agreed! The 257 Wby is by far my favorite rifle I own.. it's never once let me down. I've got plenty to choose from.. but I seem to always grab my MK5 RC...😉

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts