25-06 with a Barnes 80gr ttsx

I see everyone is discussing lighter bullets (80gr) in the 25-06. Sounds like y'all have a handle on the 1/4 bore.
We have about 1,500 Berger 133 & 135gr .257 bullets was thinking about a 25-284. What else would be a good cartridge for these heavier bullets? We have more rifles than we can shoot right now and don't know if I will get my spinal cord issue fixed. So may not build a 1/4 bore and just sell these bullets so they don't keep tempting me.
Getting ready to put an order in for some barrels and can get a 1:7.
Thanks

I see everyone is discussing lighter bullets (80gr) in the 25-06. Sounds like y'all have a handle on the 1/4 bore.
We have about 1,500 Berger 133 & 135gr .257 bullets was thinking about a 25-284. What else would be a good cartridge for these heavier bullets? We have more rifles than we can shoot right now and don't know if I will get my spinal cord issue fixed. So may not build a 1/4 bore and just sell these bullets so they don't keep tempting me.
Thanks
25-284 would be a bad hombre. I have 6.5-284, and it's simply amazing, 30 inch barrel and all. Batman, that thing shoots! That would be a cool build. Wow.

Len I'd think anything that would push them 2850MV or faster, safely, would make good things happen.?
The cartridges I've looked into recently with the 135 should be 3150 or higher realistically.
And there are some new ones coming also, I'm told.
Something to do with a "pain per grain"….?

Thanks
Len I'd keep them burgers and run them under 3250fps. They seem to shoot better when not driven to the upper node.

25x284 is very very very similar to a 25-06 in performance and case capacity. I'd look at a 25sst or 25 saum or sherman SS or maybe even a 25 sherman MAX. And then run them at 3150fps on cruise control.

Saw a video on a 25GT earlier....35gr of varget didn't seem to recoil much.

Len I'd keep them burgers and run them under 3250fps. They seem to shoot better when not driven to the upper node.

25x284 is very very very similar to a 25-06 in performance and case capacity. I'd look at a 25sst or 25 saum or sherman SS or maybe even a 25 sherman MAX. And then run them at 3150fps on cruise control.

Saw a video on a 25GT earlier....35gr of varget didn't seem to recoil much.
I'm a 25-06 nut but I'm just gonna throw this out there, I Really Like My 25WSM

No doubt the 92gr Hammer is the "Hammer of Thor" and bug hole accurate…. I'm having trouble with the $1.10 plus shipping cost per bullet…

yeah… I can afford them but geez …at that price I would have to buy another safe just to store my Gucci bullets and benchrest primers.
I didn't buy it, and never would have, but my wife gave me a Cooper Western Classic for our 25th Anniversary in 25.06; color case-hardening, octagonal barrel, fancy wood. Can't even imagine what Parkwest would charge for it. And we're not shooting prairie dogs with it; bullet cost is the least of our concerns. Once you get your load done, it's $1.10/animal.

I didn't buy it, and never would have, but my wife gave me a Cooper Western Classic for our 25th Anniversary in 25.06; color case-hardening, octagonal barrel, fancy wood. Can't even imagine what Parkwest would charge for it. And we're not shooting prairie dogs with it; bullet cost is the least of our concerns. Once you get your load done, it's $1.10/animal.
My TSS 12ga coyote loads are $6.62 each. I spent $13.25 on one coyote a few weeks ago.... $1.10 ain't bad lmao

Thanks much
I never run hot loads, look more for accuracy.
There is 600+ posts on the 131 BJ Thread started 2018 and since the BJ went out of business Berger came in with the 133 & 135gr. From what I see the 25-06, 25-284 and 25 Creed is what the Bergers are being used in. I even thought of the 25 Souper.
We have plenty of Lapua 6.5-284 and .260 brass to make either and can use 6.5-284 FL Bushing dies and .260 FL Bushing dies to neck the brass down. We have extra SA & LA Actions and get a 1:7 heavy PRS match barrel 28" in our next order for components. We have a good variety/supply of powders. Just need a Reamer, barrel, and chassis/stock and ready to rip. Just undecide to make the build and then keep or sell it.

No doubt the 92gr Hammer is the "Hammer of Thor" and bug hole accurate…. I'm having trouble with the $1.10 plus shipping cost per bullet…

yeah… I can afford them but geez …at that price I would have to buy another safe just to store my Gucci bullets and benchrest primers.
I don't plink with them. If I'm shooting for fun it's with my Model 700 Tactical .223.

Thanks much
I never run hot loads, look more for accuracy.
There is 600+ posts on the 131 BJ Thread started 2018 and since the BJ went out of business Berger came in with the 133 & 135gr. From what I see the 25-06, 25-284 and 25 Creed is what the Bergers are being used in. I even thought of the 25 Souper.
We have plenty of Lapua 6.5-284 and .260 brass to make either and can use 6.5-284 FL Bushing dies and .260 FL Bushing dies to neck the brass down. We have extra SA & LA Actions and get a 1:7 heavy PRS match barrel 28" in our next order for components. We have a good variety/supply of powders. Just need a Reamer, barrel, and chassis/stock and ready to rip. Just undecide to make the build and then keep or sell it.
I think the 25x260rem would be the ticket. Easy 1 step neck down. Would likely run in a SA and I've never seen a big berger not like to run at 2870fps.

You're right…I have 3 pre-Obama Coopers in 2506 nothing too fancy…each has its preferred load and set of brass…of course I would pay whatever the bullet price to have this "Cooper" level of accuracy…no ground squirreling or plinking but I use one for coyotes simply because it has a way of connecting way out there when I need it to…

Yeah …there's everyday bullets and then there's "100% confidence it's gonna perform in every way bullets."

Recent Posts