25-06 on aoudad???

The Aoadad, is a Barbary sheep..is it not? Anyways the 25 /06, like the 270 win is as good as it gets for sheep and wild goats.I , myself use both .Goodluck, Merry Christmas.

I hunted aoudad south of alpine, tx (incredible countryside) in the mountains on our side of the rio. It was wonderful and i put a big banana ram on ice using a 7mm RM. Climbing around in the mountains all day - it's 9,000' in places - i'd go with something you can shoot well and carry. 25-06 is a wonderful cartridge, i have one. It seems light but i shoot 110 Accubonds over 3100 fps with 4350 and it's a laser with punch. because of the terrain, you can get into position on a big ram inside 400 yards without issue.

Not to be argumentative but there is nothing 9000' south of Alpine until you get to the Andes. In fact there is nothing 9000' anywhere in Texas.

I like your bullet choice personally. These guys were shot with 117 sierra Game Kings out of a 25-06, and even though wolves may be easier to kill, this guy didn't even flinch. He went down like a sack of potatoes, and had a whole shoved through him the size of a golfball......lol

Attachments

• IMG_20160104_114652384.jpg
    IMG_20160104_114652384.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 126
I have seen quite a few aoudad put on the ground as well as myself taken a few with several different caliber rifles and brands of bullets in the last 6 months. While I have not taken one or seen one taken with a 25-06, I have no doubt a 25-06 could get it done.

I have seen quite a few aoudad put on the ground as well as myself taken a few with several different caliber rifles and brands of bullets in the last 6 months. While I have not taken one or seen one taken with a 25-06, I have no doubt a 25-06 could get it done.

Didn't the 25-06 use to be the quintessential western caliber. Mule deer, antelope and elk, all have fallen to this round. Go for it.

You already have some great advice. But I still need to get my opinion in. The 25-06 is a fantastic cartridge. I have a bison killed in Utah in 1992 that made B&C that was killed with a 25-06 using 100 grain partitions. Also a truckload of deer & elk have fell to that same load. Another great bullet is the 110 Accubond.
Why won't your friend get a break on his 300? Mine is easy to shoot with a brake.
Thanks, Kirk

My son and I drew an aoudad hunt at Devil's River State Natural Area in the Tx Parks & Wildlife draw, and the hunt was last month. Zach carried his .25-06. The TPWD folks wanted all the hunters to kill as many sheep as possible. Zach killed three. An aoudad ram, a young aoudad ewe, and a Corsican(ish) ram. All down with one shot.

Devil%27s%20River%20Aoudad%20Hunt%202016-2222-L.jpg

Devil%27s%20River%20Aoudad%20Hunt%202016-2230-L.jpg

Devil%27s%20River%20Aoudad%20Hunt%202016-2224-L.jpg

Interestingly, Zach had a shot at another bigger aoudad ram, but he had forgotten to reload after missing a 350 yard running aoudad earlier one morning. When his rifle clicked, I quickly handed him my 7mag, loaded with 160 gr Nosler Accubonds. Zach shot the ram, and the ram rolled over. Another ram got up out from under the rimrock, so Zach handed me my rifle back. As I was shooting that 2nd ram, Zach was reloading his rifle.

When the rest of the herd ran out over the rim, we climbed down to retrieve our aoudad. My ram was laying where he dropped. Zach's ram was gone. After I got focused on my ram and Zach was reloading his rifle, his ram apparently got up and ran off with the rest of the herd. It was getting late in the day, and we had a couple miles of canyon to climb out of, so we left with my ram and came back the next morning to get on the blood trail. We trailed blood for 1/2 mile before it finally played out. I suspect that Zach hit the ram above the spine, as the blood looked like muscle blood and not lung blood.

It's still all about shot placement, regardless of what rifle you're shooting.

Devil%27s%20River%20Aoudad%20Hunt%202016-2210-L.jpg

You do your part and the cartridge will be effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.