25-06 on aoudad???

pkhfarrier

I have a friend that wants to come to Texas from Pennsylvania an take a big aoudad. He ask if he could do it with his 25-06 loaded with 117gr. bullet? I know it is all about bullet placement and aoudad are known to pack off a lot of lead. We are hunting in far west Texas, free ranging aoudad and shots may be out at good distances. He is very comfortable with shooting the 25-06. He has a stainless steel with synthetic stock Rem 700 in 300 win mag he could bring but he said its a very lite gun and kicks like mule. Its a bear to sight in even with a lead sled. He said that "Its the only gun I know that will consistently knock your ball cap off from the bench, But it kills." He just shot a moose in Quebec with it a month ago. Do yall have any suggestions on bullets to use on aoudad for the 25-06 or dose he suck it up and shot the meat gun.
Thank
Pat

I think the caliber would be fine. As a matter of fact I plan on using my 257 Roy. Next year for mine. I would choose a different bullet though. I would use either the nosler accubond 110gr or bt 115. My gun shoots both well. So when hunting I usually have both accubond loaded first if its close I use the bond because its tuff. If its out past 200 300 yards I usually have time eject the bond. Also check out the Barnes or partitions.

The 25-06 is very underrated and I love my Ruger M77 with a heavy barrel. That said, I would opt for the bigger rifle for an Aoudad strictly because of the shot distances and even more so because the smaller bullet may not leave a good hole to track one in the terrain those animals live in if he goes any distance after the shot.

I have guided aoudad hunters in S.E. New Mexico for 25 years, and the ONE thing I tell my clients to bring is a gun they are not afraid of, and can shoot well under any conditions; sitting, standing, you get the idea.
Shot placement is everything, especially on an aoudad
If a 243 is the rifle you are not afraid of, then it is my job as your guide to get closer

i'd say let your friend bring his 25-06,it'll hold its own to 600yds.

if you friend s a crack shot so much the better, and you'll have a front row seat to watch poetry in motion.

i'm a barnes fan i'd load up some 115 tripple shocks or try some 120 partitions,

tell him he can always put a heavier pipe on he 300 win-mag.

sounds like you two will have a great hunt comming soon,nothing like hunting with your friends. regards and hunt safe jjmp

After shooting 100+ deer with a 25-06 from point blank to around 600 yards with a lot of different 100 to 120 gr bullets I say tell your buddy to bring it on. I would be willing to bet that if he puts what ever 117 gr bullet he is shooting where it is supposed to go that aoudad will drop in it's tracks. My favorite 117 is the Sierra. It is a real killer.

25-06 will be more than adequate. I suggest using a solid construction bullet like a tsx or ttsx I'm also a fan of the swift sirocco.

You'll be fine, just break him down and don't worry about vitals till the follow up. Remember their shoulders are farther forward than american game.

Personally, I've hunted bull moose, elk etc with success using this needle gun.Mine is a one holer too.Not familiar with this species however.Premium bullet and a confident marksmen works , in my opinion.Actually the hardest I'd ever seen a Bull moose go down was with a 25/06.Take care.

I've dropped a couple with my .270 out to about 425yds with 130 gr swift scirrocos. Never had one go more then 10yds before dropping. I've recovered two bullets in the Hyde from 400+ yd shots and both only took a couple steps. Id stick with a good premium bullet sciroccos, Barnes, a frame or partitions. Be patient with your shot placement. I've had to do several 100 + yd tracks on shots with much larger calibers that you would of thought would of been good. Good luck. They're an awesome beast.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.