243AI vs 243

the Ackley version of the .243 is improved barrel life. Although this goes against common sense because the AI gives a little higher velocity. It seems the shoulder geometry of the std. 243 forces powder and gases into the throat with more force than the sharp-shouldered AI version, which gives the 243W the reputation as a barrel-eater. Although this seems like it'd apply to all AIs, it is supposedly most measurable in the 243 version. Even if it's hogwash, the AI version makes sense from a case lifestandpoint alone (especially with your high volume of fire), even if the velocity increase and barrel life increase is negligable, especially if a rechamber or rebarrel is required anyway. I have little experience with either the 243 or 243AI, but other Ackleys I've played with were worth the effort. I think you made a good choice, assuming your rifle feeds well (and it should). Let us know how it does when you get it back.

morning, r u varmint hunting or all game usage? i had 2 AI's.
depending on the barrel twist will range bullet weight. both
AI's shot very well. low recoil if an issue. the US army
was testing the AI for use in sniping with 105gr. weight
range bullets. i would go with the 260AI. i also have
a 6mmAI. varmint config. just me. GBOT TUM

My perspectives always center on long term accuracy.
Lotta case life improvements with AI, but a 243AI is overbore in capacity(too big for 85gr bullets).
Consider going 260AI, as you can cover all a 243AI and your 6.5-284 could. It's perfect capacity for 26cal with ~140gr bullets.

My perspectives always center on long term accuracy.
Lotta case life improvements with AI, but a 243AI is overbore in capacity(too big for 85gr bullets).
Consider going 260AI, as you can cover all a 243AI and your 6.5-284 could. It's perfect capacity for 26cal with ~140gr bullets.
One issue is topography and property lines where I hunt. Although 800yards is possible, most shots will be 250-400. I think I will just stick with the standard round

On game, I doubt you'll seem much difference. On paper, the added velocity could help. If figured for what I'm getting with my .243W it's not worth changing to AI. Starting from scratch, maybe a different story. The 6mm Creedmore is in this range as well.

G od B less O ur T roops T hank U M uch

the AI version of a cartridge-caliber helps with case
life. weatherby-gibbs have the right idea. YES the extra
case space obtained thru the AI version does have
good benefits!! AI's r a form of wildcats. the WSM
version of a cartridge is a form of AI wildcat.
GBOT TUM just me

G od B less O ur T roops T hank U M uch

the AI version of a cartridge-caliber helps with case
life. weatherby-gibbs have the right idea. YES the extra
case space obtained thru the AI version does have
good benefits!! AI's r a form of wildcats. the WSM
version of a cartridge is a form of AI wildcat.
GBOT TUM just me
I like that!

rebarreling my M70. Any advantage to the AI over the standard chamber with 85 grain Bullets?

I have 243 and 243AI and I like both and when I'm shooting 243 I'm not worry that it's not 243AI. I use 85gr/87gr in the 243 and mostly 95gr in the 243AI and I'll use either antelope tag here in Co or Wy and coyotes. I can shoot same bullets in either but didn't want two shooting same bullets.

If your shooting steel in a prs type A 30 degree shoulder will feed better that a 40. With the added benefit of a longer neck and being able to run h1000 for longer barrel life. Being able to throttle back the ai also helps with throat life. Here is a simple fireform version of the 30 degree improved
http://www.6mmar.com/243_Imp_30_.php

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.