243AI vs 243

ATH

My next rifle is going to be a 243 for increased long-range practice (vs my 300WM) and coyotes. I had decided on the 243 Win, but then I realized I'm going to have to put a gun together if I want a fast enough twist for the heavier high-BC bullets (I didn't need much excuse to go for a higher-quality-than-factory barrel anyways).

Now that I am going to that much work, someone suggested the 243 AI indicating it would actually have longer brass life (less stretching) and equal or longer barrel life despite higher velocities. I'm also told the brass is available commercially so I don't have to fire-form.

While most shooting will be within 400 yds coyote shots could be out to 800 and targets as far as the gun can reach on occasion. Anybody have opinions on this? Am I overlooking another round I should consider? Recoil must be 308-level or under....I can shoot the 300WM if I want to deal with recoil to get those ballistics.

well, i dont have 243ai exp, but with my stock savage in 243 22 in bbl, i've shot out to 735 y with moa accuracy, so i dont complain, i shoot rem brass and a lower powder charge to make my brass last a bit longer, cuz with near max loads the primer pockets were stretching a bit early. now with 1.5 less grains powder, i just loaded one set of brass the 4th time and primer pockets and necks are still perfect. so im happy with it, i shoot 105 a-max and its a great cheap shooting rifle!

The 243 AI is extremely accurate at 1000 yards with the 105 match bullets. I have one twisted for 55 and 75 varmint bullets and another for the 105's. I also have the same in the 240 gibbs and 6mm-06 AI and the 240 wby. The 240 gibbs is better at long range since it will drive the 105 way faster than the 243 AI. The 243 and 240 gibbs twisted for the 105's have a tight neck chamber and shoot really good to a 1000 yards. They are all very accurate. Of the ones I have the 243 AI is slightly more accurate than the others. I zero them at 300 yards and the 243 AI will consistently shoot 5/8" groups at that range. They are great varminters and coyote rifles which is why I built them. The brass for the 240 wby is just to high and can't be made from anything else so it gets the least use although it is a great performer. I did it for my wife and son to shoot deer and antelope with because it has virtually no recoil. None of these have recoil to mention. For a coyote rifle I think you would be very pleased with any of these.

you can get lapua brass for the 243, my savage with 9.25 twist shoots the 95 smks very well out to 1000. I t shoots well enough that I would not bother with the fireforming just for a few more fps. check out 6mmbr . com they have some good comparisions between the two

I was told 243 AI brass is made by Lapua and Winchester, at least, though I have not actually checked for myself yet.

I was told 243 AI brass is made by Lapua and Winchester, at least, though I have not actually checked for myself yet.

I'm pretty sure .243 AI brass isn't made by anyone. Lapua and Winchester make .243 Win brass that you can fireform into AI though.

How do you find the 243AI does on the coyotes as far as pelt damage is concerned?

The 243 AI is extremely accurate at 1000 yards with the 105 match bullets. I have one twisted for 55 and 75 varmint bullets and another for the 105's. I also have the same in the 240 gibbs and 6mm-06 AI and the 240 wby. The 240 gibbs is better at long range since it will drive the 105 way faster than the 243 AI. The 243 and 240 gibbs twisted for the 105's have a tight neck chamber and shoot really good to a 1000 yards. They are all very accurate. Of the ones I have the 243 AI is slightly more accurate than the others. I zero them at 300 yards and the 243 AI will consistently shoot 5/8" groups at that range. They are great varminters and coyote rifles which is why I built them. The brass for the 240 wby is just to high and can't be made from anything else so it gets the least use although it is a great performer. I did it for my wife and son to shoot deer and antelope with because it has virtually no recoil. None of these have recoil to mention. For a coyote rifle I think you would be very pleased with any of these.

Thanks, I finally got around to a search and you are right noone makes 243AI brass.

I've never fire-formed so I hope that isn't too much of a pain...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.