243AI, 87Vmax, H414

ATH

Trust me, I've done the searches, I'm not satisfied…

Anyone have experience with this combo? I'm looking for what weight and velocity you've gotten. I used this combo to fire form 300 cases. I shoot primarily the 105AMAX and Re22, but now want to work the 87s up to full power for pdogs.

I shoot IMR 4451 in my Rem 700 Varmint in .243 with 87gr V-MAXs. It has a very close burn rate to H414. I worked up to 44.5 gr with a Federal case, Win LR primer, and the Hornady 87gr V-MAX. I get an average speed of 3430fps and my ES is under 20 with single digit SDs and no signs of over pressure, just slightly flattened primers. Groups are all under .5 MOA at 100 yards and I have shot multiple 3-4" groups at 700 yards on steel with this load. It does a serious number on ground hogs and my farthest kill is 456 yards with this load. I took a few shots at a ground hog at 960 yards and the wind got me but still shot about an MOA group at that range. Very good load for varmints in the .243, I am sure it will work just as good in the Ackley Improved.

I shoot IMR 4451 in my Rem 700 Varmint in .243 with 87gr V-MAXs. It has a very close burn rate to H414. I worked up to 44.5 gr with a Federal case, Win LR primer, and the Hornady 87gr V-MAX. I get an average speed of 3430fps and my ES is under 20 with single digit SDs and no signs of over pressure, just slightly flattened primers. Groups are all under .5 MOA at 100 yards and I have shot multiple 3-4" groups at 700 yards on steel with this load. It does a serious number on ground hogs and my farthest kill is 456 yards with this load. I took a few shots at a ground hog at 960 yards and the wind got me but still shot about an MOA group at that range. Very good load for varmints in the .243, I am sure it will work just as good in the Ackley Improved.

Thanks, yes, top end 243 loads work fine in the AI version. That's what I used to fire form. But I am seeking information on AI specific loads to see how much further up to start, and how far to expect to get before pressure.

usually 10% over book max 243 win. start at 4-5% over book max and go up till you start seeing pressure signs. when I had my 243ai I think I was in the range of 7-8% over book max for 243 win. it was 6-7 years ago.
I'm back to straight 243's have 4 of them purpose for every one.

I'm shooting 243AI and you already worked up another load for your 243AI . If it was me I'd use same way that you got that load.

Sound like that was good load.

I'm shooting 243AI and you already worked up another load for your 243AI . If it was me I'd use same way that you got that load.

Sound like that was good load.

Well, I shot book max for the 243 as a fore forming load. Doesn't really help me find an AI load, just gave me a "duh, this has to be safe" point to start and still whack prairie dogs well. For the 105gr load I found better starting loads so less guess work.

I'll take the % numbers shared, back off, and start there.

well, i shot book max for the 243 as a fore forming load. Doesn't really help me find an ai load, just gave me a "duh, this has to be safe" point to start and still whack prairie dogs well. For the 105gr load i found better starting loads so less guess work.

I'll take the % numbers shared, back off, and start there.

omit

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.