243AI 115 Berger

TAZMAN

I have been loading the 115 Berger but it appears if I get them over 3020 FPS in my 8 twist carbon fiber barrel. At 211 yard the bullets go from .5 moa at 2900FPS to 18-20 inch groups and the bullet impact appears to look like a pepper shaker hit the target. These are the new 115 Targets bullets so I am not sure why they are doing this.

The 105 berger seems fine at 3193fps average along with the 105 AMax. Anyone else have this issue with the new 115 bullet? I saw there was an issue back in 2009 but couldn't find much else.

I have been loading the 115 Berger but it appears if I get them over 3020 FPS in my 8 twist carbon fiber barrel. At 211 yard the bullets go from .5 moa at 2900FPS to 18-20 inch groups and the bullet impact appears to look like a pepper shaker hit the target. These are the new 115 Targets bullets so I am not sure why they are doing this.

The 105 berger seems fine at 3193fps average along with the 105 AMax. Anyone else have this issue with the new 115 bullet? I saw there was an issue back in 2009 but couldn't find much else.
Tazman,
Your rifle is telling you that it likes the 2900 fps velocity node with our 115gr bullet. Accuracy trumps velocity every time. No issues with the bullet that we know of .

I have heard about 115gr Berger bullets blowing up and doing exactly what you are describing when pushed hard. I have never seen a rifle go from .5 MOA to 10 MOA just by bumping the load up a little. And the pepper flakes you are seeing sounds like pieces of jacket coming off in mid flight. If you are off the node it would go from .5 MOA to maybe 1 or 2 MOA, it would not do what you are experiencing just by being off the node.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.