115 berger v 117 dtac

eddybo

I have a 6x285 throated for the 115s but have found that while it shoots great with these bullets most of the time...... not all make it to the target. I do not have any of the 117s on hand and was just wondering if they will load similarly or if they are going to seat too deep in the case. Any info would be appreciated.

I think that the DTac bullets are just Sierra Match Kings that may have a little differant ogive than standard , I takled to a guy that said they look just like the SMK but a little longer. In this case if the ogive is the same as the regular SMK then it is gonna seat a little deaper in the case than the Bergers because the ogive on the Berger is so much longer. I think that any of the match bullets that are out their are all made on the same thin J4 jacket material but I think that Serria uses their own jacket and it is a bit thicker thus helping them stay together is hot rod calibers with fast twist.
I had a friend in California and that had a 6mm-06Ai with a 1-8 twist Kreiger barrel and he would blow up the heavy Bergers from time to time (mostly 105's) After about a thousand rounds he used the Tubbs fire lapping kit on the barrel and set it back 2" then rechambered with the same reamer used the first time and from then on out he never blew up another bullet and actualy ran the 105's out faster because they would take it now.
I'm not to sure that Mr. Don would approve of you fire lapping a barrel but its just an idea that if you barrel is a 6 groove or less that the lands and grooves may be to wide and to deep and are actualy stressing the bullets jacket to hard , and the 115's having so much more bearing surface than the lighter bullets it may be affecting them more thats why they are coming appart.

Hows that sweet little PPC comming?

the 117 will stay together. I have pushed them to 3350 and have had no problems. They are a good bit longer than the bergers and the ogive is different so that will help some.

I have a throating reamer that i am going to throat my gun for them if they keep shooting good.

d-a

Thanks for the info all.
James...my ppc was shooting great until I pulled the scope off and put it on my back up (which my wife has claimed and will not give back)...waiting on one of Bob Brackneys locked scope set ups for it now. Following my theory that you can never have enough 6mms I picked up my new 6x47 from Mr. Don today. The right bolt left port right eject is going to take some getting used to but it doesnt explode bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If it shoots half as well at 600 as it does at 300 I will not be last at next Saturdays Fclass shoot.

Good info here, I have an 8 twist Broughton sitting here, might try one after a 6.5x55. Wish money was no object! good luck with the shoot eddybo!

Frank D

d-a

what cal. are you using to push those 117 to 3350? What lenght barrel? Where can I find some of those 117 dtac bullets? Sure would like to try some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.