243 WSSM Loading HELP

evans10

This is my first time posting on this forum. I have a factory Browning A-Bolt 243 WSSM, 22" barrel, that is giving me fits. I am shooting 95 grain Nosler Partitions. I have tried IMR 7828, Retumbo, IMR-4350, H4831SC with no luck. My velocities are very consistent shot to shot. My groups vary from 1.5"- 3.5"
(shoots factory Winchester 95 BT 1.5" group). I have tried two different COAL of 2.26" and 2.3" also. If anyone can give me any advice I would appreciate it. My scope is mounted fine, I am sure its not the scope. The barrel appears to be free floated as I can put a dollar bill along its entire length. One thing I found was what I thought was a lot of variation in the Nosler Partition weights. They varied from 94.6-95.3 grains. Is this usual? If not, how much variation before it will affect my groups?
Thanks in advance.

Phil

Sounds like you are trying different loadings except the bullets. Just my non-scientific observation, but in general Nosler partitions have not been my better shooting bullets.

In general, Sierra bullets have shot better, and Hornady. I say this as an overall, general average, not to say that some partition loads haven't shot better than same of the others.

I'd try different bullets as you are able.

I don't have a 243wssm, but I do have a 25wssm. I have found that my win is crazy picky when it comes to components. One primer (same goes for bullets/powder) with a given load will shoot moa, and the next primer will be 2-3 moa on the workup. I'd switch bullets; the 100 gr hornady or 100gr sierra will do all you can get any 243 to do reasonably. I've seen tons of deer fall to the 100gr 6mm hornady.

One last thing. I'm not even down one the Nosler partition, the 95 grain partition is my favorite deer bullet with the 243. Just saying to try others with your gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.