243 single shot pistol help needed

pressman

i have a 243 encore pistol. it really shoot pretty good but i don't think i have the right load going on yet. i am usually a rifle shooter but picked this up pretty cheap.
243 encore pistol 1:10 twist with a 14" barrel. with scope 2X10X 40 power
does anyone know how far off the lands i need to be???.005 .010-.030 or more
i have been shooting 87 gr v max with i think 42gr. of h4350 need to go recheck my notes.
if you have any pet loads that would be great. i plan on deer hunting with this in Indiana because a rifle is illegal go figure that one. pistol ok but not rifle.
so i dug it out and starting to get some trigger time in.
even any suggestion would be considered.
group right now is around 1.5 at 100 yards.

Neither of my Encores let me get close to the lands.... .243AI and 300 WBY with the AI shooting 55BTs. That's not an issue, both are tack drivers. Try to find a load with Varget and CCI BR2s. That combo's worked great in a few rifles now. Barring that, use the Varget with a Gold Metal Match.
Coyoter

If you post this in the specialty pistol thread you may get more responses.
My 243 is fast twist so I do not use the lighter bullets.

I don't load for a 243 pistol but I do shoot a wildcat 6mm - 225 Win in a 14 inch barrel Contender. If you want to deer hunt with with your pistol I would suggest you go with a different bullet. The v-max is a varmint bullet that will explode on impact. I use the 80 gr. Sierra single shot pistol bullet on deer and it does a great job. I am pushing it 2650 fps with Varget powder. The Nosler 85 gr Partition or the 90 gr ballistic tip would also be good bullets for deer in your pistol. I would check out you Indiana regulations really well. Most states that don't allow rifle hunting for deer only allow pistol calibers that use straight wall cases like 357, 44 mag etc.

My Sierra manual and Hornady manual list loads for the 15" T/C Encore in 243 Win. It looks like from the Sierra manual that Vith N135 powder is the ticket. That is what they list as the accuracy and hunting loads with 80 to 90 gr bullets.

With 80 to 85 gr bullets Viht N-135 start 35.1 max 38.6
Accuracy load 37.9 Viht -N135, 2900 fps, Hunting load 38.6 grs Vhit-N135, 2950 fps.

90 gr bullet. start Viht-N135, 33.0 Max 36.6 Hunting load is 36.6, 2800 fps.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.