243 powder?

coop2564

Just picked up a 243 Ruger in 9 twist, 22" barrel. Hope to cover about 500yds with it. Thinking 95 gr Berger classic as a start bullet.
What powders work with the round best? Thinking of RL16. Have a lot of RL26 anyone try it in 243? Have a lot of H4831sc.

2564, tried four powders and found H4350 gave the best accuracy for my son's .243. H4831SC was too slow burning for the 95 Berger and other powders weren't very accurate. Saying all this, no two rifles like the same loading. Test what you have and move to another if you aren't satisfied. Good luck

2564, tried four powders and found H4350 gave the best accuracy for my son's .243. H4831SC was too slow burning for the 95 Berger and other powders weren't very accurate. Saying all this, no two rifles like the same loading. Test what you have and move to another if you aren't satisfied. Good luck
Been looking for H4350 for 2 yrs none here locally at all.

H4350 is the only popular powder I've found here lately. Bought 2lb limit at local gun shop two weeks ago and 2lb limit at Sportsmans two days ago. Did find RL 26 at local shooters supply four weeks ago, but they sold out same day. Retumbo, Varget and other sought after powders nonexistent.

Like Dosh said, different rifles like different powders. I use RL 22 with good results. Got some RL23 I want to try when the 22 runs out. I've always had good accuracy with slow powders. Maybe not the highest velocity, but tight groups. I have not tried RL26 but it would be interesting to see if you can get enough in the case for a 95gr bullet.

I just tested this yesterday. Lapua cases, Fed 210m, RL26, 95g Classic Hunter, 25" barrel.

EEDF02A1-FF21-41B4-9FF2-2CBA9D6CEFA3.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.