.243 Max Hunting Range????

muleythumper

What would you all have to say regarding the maximum hunting range of the 243 Win.? Talking about pronghorn, whitetail and mulies........not elk!

Well a good rule of thumb is a 1000 lbs of knock down for an elk but were are only talking about for deer which goes down way easier. So at 750 yard with a 95 gr bullet going 3100fps you still have 650lbs. But for me ever thing would have to be perfect for me to shoot a deer at 750 yards with a 243 but i think a guy can do it but he better be practiced up.

This video has been shown here before, but apparently 688 yards on elk is possible:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18]Kasandra Cow elk 688yds.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

I've seen one of the same rifle shooting 700+ yards on an elk in the Milligan Brand video. I wouldn't do it, but if it can shoot elk at this distance it "can" shoot smaller animals as well. :rolleyes:

it would depend on the bullet being used and what distances you are comfortable shooting. I have hunted many different animals with the .243 to include Whitetails and have shot them a varying ranges out to 500yds. I would not recommend shooting beyond 400 yds for large whitetail and mule deer but think you could stretch it out to 500 yds and remain ethical, given your rifle is accurate enough, for pronghorn.

If we follow the "school o thought" of 1000 ft-lbs of energy and at least 1900'/sec bullet velocity on target.........the 243 with 105 Bergers or 105 A-Max's (3000'/sec mv) has the remaining energy and velocity to do the job at over 600 yds, even 700 yds at the altitudes I hunt at.

Calm conditions, steady rest, good trigger technique, plenty of time, and a rifle capable of 1/2 minute accuracy (every bullet hits within 2 or 3 inches of PoA) .......I personally wouldn't have a problem attempting the kill with a broadside shot presentation at 700 yds.

I am talking antelope and deer, just my opinion; but I think attempting such a shot on elk with a 243 is just asking for trouble.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.