.243 max range on deer?

Savagebien

hey, i've been doing a lot of shooting with my .243 win this summer. getting pretty comfortable out to 500 meters, and i'm going to try to stretch it out some more. i was wanting to know what is the max effective range of the .243 win on whitetails? i'm shooting 100gr sierra game king boat tails. is there a better long range hunting bullet for this setup? im shooting a savage, 22 in bbl 9.25" twist. the 100gr sierra game king boat tails are shooting plenty accurate for deer at that range i think. so how far can i effectively kill deer with it? thanks!

I think one good way to answer that is... what is your bullets minimum performance velocity and how far out does your bullet maintain perfomance velocity out of your rifle?

Beyond that your going to get the pencil hole effect from your bullet which will probably kill a deer...but how effectively? Your call....

I would say about 600 yards with that particular bullet. Should kill deer pretty easily. Now a big buck on the other hand is a different story. I'd want a little more caliber and bullet. But for the average size buck or doe, you should be fine to about 600. I used the 100g SBT in my .243 as well and was getting awesome groups at 500 yards with it as well. Never did use it for deer hutning as I use my 25-06 or 7 RM for LR deer hunting.

thanks guys, i'll probly b hard pressed to get into a situation where im trying to shoot over 600 where i'll be hunting so that sounds fine.

Havn't used the SKG's, but would have very liitle doubts as to the performance of 95gr Ballistic Tips way past 600.

Here's one at 427 yards-

Ambers10pt30Nov2007atStacys005.jpg

How far would you define "way past 600"??? If you look at the remaining velocity and energy numbers for the 95g nbt, 600 is definately pushing it, at the absolute most 700...

At 3100fps with the 95g NBT, your looking at 650 ft lbs, and remaining velocity of 1760fps at 600 yards. Thats about max IMO. Better keep your fingers crossed if "way past 600" is your goal...

BTW, nice buck!!

I fret placement much more then "energy" or velocity, though the latter does matter, and a 1K poke would not be out of the question given the conditions......

If I were focusing on LR, I would lean more to the 105gr A-MAX, or 115gr DTAC, etc.

After seeing him shoot his 243 today, I'd say 550 would be a chipshot with his gun. He could place them right there in the chest of a silhouette ram.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.