243 load for coyote

pressman

i have a winchester model 70 that has not seen much attention over the last few years. so i decided to see if i could turn it into a real coyote gun, i have checked the twist and i am pretty sure it is 1:12 and not 1:10. i am planning on trying to shoot the 58 gr v max but i also have some 70gr ballistic tips and some 75 also i think. i was kind of hoping to get the 58's to fly nicely. does anyone have any pet load data that they would like to share? or maybe some experiences with the 243

I'm shooting a 10 twist 243. 58g vmax super formance varmit shoot real good out of mine. As do the 70 g NBTs.

Win brass, CCI BR2s or 210Ms, 48grns Imr4350, 75grn v-max, 2.650" OAL, its getting towards the warm side but usually does great, 46.5grns H4350 is a good subsitute for that load as well.

I have the 70NBT's flying GREAT out of my 1 in 10 twist 243 win., using 48.1 Reloader 19 and CCI BR2 primers at just 2.620". I'm playing with the 75 V-MAX's right now and so far, it looks like 42.3 of Reloader 15 lit by a Fed210 primer is going to be the winner. This one may be approaching "warm" though, so start down around 39 or so and work up in your gun. The 70NBT's RL 19 load above is flying at about 3,250fps whereas I had a Varget load for these (42.8) that was up around 3,500. I've shot as high as 41.5 of Varget with the 75's, and 42.9 of RL15 with the 75's - with no real pressure signs in either case (yet), but it was also pretty cold out. And 42.9 was, I thought anyway, just starting to give me a little tighter bolt lift so didn't go any further. Just take is slow.

My rifle loved Hornady Custom Ammo in 58 V-MAX, but I was never able to find a perfect load for these. I also have a 22-250 that shoots 52's & 55's lights out, so I decided to move on up in the 243 to find something that would be better in wind. 85's, 80's, 70's, now these 75's. Good luck.

I am going to suggest something different, the Sierra 85gr BTHP. Those suckers will really stretch your range with the 243, and will drop them with authority. Yotes at 400yds act like they were hit by lightning bolts

Work up towards the top of the load charts with 4350. The advantage of the Sierra bullet, is it didn't matter the shot angle, where some of the Amax or Vmax bullets on a shoulder hit will blow up on a shoulder hit. They usually drop, but don't always die quickly.

I believe I have the same gun as you, and have a pretty decent load using 58 grain vmax. I have them loaded with 44.0 grains Varget. .8" groups at 100 yards. Haven't tested out further yet, but only plan on using them to about 300 yards. I also have a good load using 87 grain Vmax if I need to stretch out the distances further.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts