243. Detachable Mag Length Berger

CrowsFoot

Hoping one of you Gurus can shed some light on me here. I have a 700 short action that im putting a 243. bartlein on. My question is this. Id like to be able to seat the 105 hybrids against the lands but think I'm going to run into some clearance issues trying this and having them fit in a detachable mag. Have any of you done this without having to build on a long action? Looking for any advice I can get and thank you.​

CrowsFoot,

The longest DBM I use has a clear space of 2.950" without the spacer being used. Generally, I set my OAL to 2.925" to allow a little bit of room for feeding.

I suggest getting the magazine system you want to use, measure the interior of the mags then makes some dummy rounds for your gunsmith to use for the chamber.

Be aware that using the Hybrid in the .243 case will only have 0.162" of the shank in the neck with the OAL of 2.925". This doesn't leave much to chase the lands if you should find that necessary. It's a balancing act that you might consider getting your gunsmith involve in.

Regards.

Thank you for the reply. I've had my worries about the 105's and the length issues trying to make this duo work. Shot the hybrids out of a 6 creed last weekend and was very impressed with them out to a grand. As for the 243. I just have a soft spot for it and wanted to do it on this particular action. I will definitely take your advice during the build.

The hybrids are not supposed to be particularly sensitive to seating depth. Try the Berger seating depth test. You may find there is no benefit from seating that long which will make life easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.