.243 cal 55 gr Nosler BT Lead Free

jt183

I was just curious if anyone else had tried these bullets?? I picked up a box the other day and have shot 75 or so through my .243 Win. I'm trying to find a fur friendly load for coyotes so I've been trying them out on rockchucks to see what kind of damage they create. So far they seem to be the most fragile bullet I have ever tried. I shot a rockchuck in the head at 238 yards and the bullet did not exit!! His head was a little deformed but there was no exit hole. Usually a shot like that results in brains splattered all over the place. I finally had a chance to shoot a coyote with one today but things didn't go as planned. The coyote was 150 yards broadside and I placed the bullet behind the front shoulder. At the shot he yipped and spun but quickly regained his composure and headed for parts unknown. Last I saw him he was a mile away and still going strong. I didn't shoot again because I knew I hit him good and I was expecting him to drop dead after a short run. I'm thinking the bullet hit a rib and didn't penetrate to the vitals. Of course I have no proof of that because he wouldn't come back so I could take a closer look.

Don't know if it was a fluke deal or if it will happen all the time. Guess I need to shoot more coyotes with them and form an opinion. Has anyone else tried this bullet on coyotes?? Experiences?

Interesting. I have loaded some but not shot them. Occasionally I hunt on Fed land and don't need a ticket for lead shot. I loaded 42.5 grains Reloader 15.

Vmax is the best way to go IMO. Might have a bigger entry hole, but never had one exit and haven't had many go far. I would rather stitch a 1" hole then loose it completly.

I saw your other post and saw that you are using the vmax. I will have to do some research.

What grain V-Max are you shooting and how fast are you pushing it? I agree with you, I would much rather stitch a few holes than lose a coyote. I'm just trying to find something that makes smaller holes.

I'm doing this from memory but all my "hot loads" are .5gr from max from Hogdon load tables.

I used Varget and H414 with CCI200 primers

the Noslers were running 3825 - 3915 Varget I think the posted max FPS is right at 4000FPS. These punched holes the were nearly ontop of eachother. My spotter at one point said he couldn't tell were my hole was and I replied "check the shot before this"

Vmax 58GR slightly slower 3800 FPS My groups were all touching eachother but i'm still doing basic load work and tweaking rifle so I didn't write anything down other than the Rem700 loves light bullets.

I'm going to try Barnes Frangible Varmint grenades next. I use unripe Turnips to test expansion. once I decide the load isn't worth it we shoot over a "deer management field this time of year."

Ive shot dozens of coyotes with that combo! with a MV of just over 4000 FPS they cut coyotes in half and blow rock chucks 5' in the air!!!!

what load are you shooting? I kind of held this one back together for the pic!

I've been using a pretty moderate load hoping to make my barrell last longer and also hoping it makes the bullet a little more fur-friendly. I've been using Varget or IMR 4064 @ 40.5 grains with the 55 gr BTLF out of my .243 Win. (I believe max is around 45 gr.) Both powders shoot to the same point of impact but I haven't chronographed anything. Do the BTLF bullets copper foul worse than conventional bullets in your rifle?? I spent a lot of time this weekend trying to clean the copper fouling out of my barrell. It was so bad that at the end of the barrell I could see the lands were completely covered with copper.

I did have a chance to shoot a big male coyote with a 58 gr Z-Max bullet out of my .243 using 40.5 gr of IMR 4064. 220 yards DRT. .24 cal entry hole and no exit. Perfect!!

You say the 55 gr BTLF cuts coyotes in half. I assume that means it's not very friendly?? What load are you using?? Velocity?

At 4000FPS+ he's near max with Varget so 44+

I wouldn't worry to much about barrel life IMO. Once you break 1500+ rounds I've read and spoke to a couple guys that accuracy drops less than 1/4, 1/2" which for a want it dead yote gun that's not a lot of spread.

The other thing to consider is are you capable of shooting at maximum ability to even see the change in groups? And a few friends with .243s said they plan too change tubes at 2-3K rnds as the gun works fine for deer till then.

Besides a barrel replacement is a few hundred for a savage or a Rem700.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.