Nosler Lead Free BT?

davkrat

Planning on picking up my first .22-250 and out here in CA a good portion of our state is now lead free. Anybody have any experience with the new lead free BT bullets from Nosler? I'm wondering if the 40 grain would be too small for a coyote. I was undecided between a .22-250 or a .243. I figure my .308 can do most anything the .243 would do and I've always wanted a .22-250, low recoil, cheap.... I want something I can practice with a lot and also get my kids in to shooting with. The .22-250 sounds better for that role to me. The 1:14" twist is a bother since I won't be able to go above 55gr bullets another nod to the .243 with 9 18" twist but I still WANT a .22-250. Don't really know that I would be hunting coyotes in the lead free zone anyways just curious if anyone had used them on coyotes.
Thanks,
Dave

I have a couple boxes sitting on my reloading bench now. I got the 35gr based on good success with the barnes 36gr VG and the 40gr Vmax. The 35gr lead free ballistic tips are about the size of a 50gr Vmax so the 40's may be even bigger than a 55gr bullet, which is why I opted away from them. unfortunately I didn't find any load data so I'm going to start with my Varmint grenade load or my 40gr Vmax load, both using varget.

Anyway, if you decide you want a 243 let me know. I've got one I'd sell, complete with several tuned handloads including lead free (85gr TSX and 62gr Varmint grenade). Proven hell on coyotes...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.